Thickness of Hearthstone Stones

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

thinkxingu

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jun 3, 2007
S.NH
Hi All,
My Homestead's developed a few cracks, all are located where the two side stones meet (in the middle). I've performed the blown-out match test and performance has been normal, so there seems to be no leaks, but I'm wondering: how thick are the stones used on the Hearthstone stoves?

S

PeterJ said:
I believe they are 1 1/4 inch thick. :-)

That sounds about right, but I think that Hearthstone states the thickness on their website - at least I think I remember reading this when I was researching my Mansfield. Are you going to bother cementing the cracks from the inside? Can you post pics of the cracks - I'd like to see what a minor crack looks like on the stones? Cheers!

OK, so there's a fair distance between the front of the stone that I can see and the inside. There is no visible cracks on the inside, and a flashlight test revealed nothing, so I'm assuming the cracks haven't gone through. If they eventually do, and they suck air in/show light through, I suppose I'll cement first since it can't hurt.

I'll try to get a pic with my Nikon when wifey gets home--the cell pics aren't so clear.

S

thinkxingu said:
OK, so there's a fair distance between the front of the stone that I can see and the inside. There is no visible cracks on the inside, and a flashlight test revealed nothing, so I'm assuming the cracks haven't gone through. If they eventually do, and they suck air in/show light through, I suppose I'll cement first since it can't hurt.

I'll try to get a pic with my Nikon when wifey gets home--the cell pics aren't so clear.

S

That sounds good and thanks for trying to get a pic - I'll look for it. Cheers!

i just noticed the first crack in the top centre stone just a few weeks ago. tried to take a picture of it and it doesnt seem to show up in the photo too well. its a fine irregular line that runs all the way across the stone. from what i gather this is normal and is just the first of many of these fine hairline cracks i will end up with. the stove now broken in.

Status
Not open for further replies.