Thermostat preference

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Our new stove is able to keep our living room kitchen area in the high 70s and back bedrooms in the upper 60s low 70s on the lowest heat setting. In the interest of conserving pellets I've been contemplating turning the thermostat on to shut it down when the kitchen area is around 70, but between the extra wattage used at start up, and also the extra usage of the igniter, I'm not sure it's worth saving a couple pounds of pellets a day if it has to go through 2 or 3 start up cycles. I know this is kind of a "first world problem" but just curious as to what others are doing. Our typical usage during the work week is keeping it on from the time I get home from work until my wife leaves in the morning for her job. On the weekends however we generally just leave it on. It's a Lopi if that matters.

I'm thinking of doing the same thing. I'm thinking of using a manual dial thermostat and change the internal setting so their is a 3 degree difference from the on position instead of the normal .5. Then the stove is not consistently starting and stopping

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

I have been tinkering around with a digital programable t stat , was going to add a timed relay to create what ever temp differential I want to cut down starts.

I would really like it if there was a setting where I could have it shut off at let's say 72 degrees and turn on at like 68. I haven't tried it yet but I would hate for it to be set at 72 and any time it drops to 71 it turns on then when it hits 72 it shuts off. I've seen plenty of discussions of wiring up a nest thermostat but unfortunately I'm not that clever. Lopi offers an external thermostat but I think that's just for reading a temperature away from the stove.

I would really like it if there was a setting where I could have it shut off at let's say 72 degrees and turn on at like 68. I haven't tried it yet but I would hate for it to be set at 72 and any time it drops to 71 it turns on then when it hits 72 it shuts off. I've seen plenty of discussions of wiring up a nest thermostat but unfortunately I'm not that clever. Lopi offers an external thermostat but I think that's just for reading a temperature away from the stove.

That’s what I’m doing, just using timer not temp setting. When the t stat calls for heat the timer on the relay starts counting down, after about 10 min I’m loosing 3-4 deg of heat in the shop and the stove restarts.

What if you overrode the igniter? Would the stove just shut off when the t-stat wasn't calling for heat or would the Lopi go into an error mode state and maintain a basic flame? This is what my Harman does when the t-stat is not calling for heat. If the Lopi functioned in a similar manner, although you still wouldn't get a 4 degree temp swing you would be able to maintain a consistent temp (1 degree swing) throughout the rooms without stressing the igniter. It's probably a long shot but worth checking to see if doable.

That's basically what it does. My stove has 3 thermostat modes. One mode, it will heat at whatever setting I choose until it hits that temperature, when it hits, it turns it to the lowest setting until the temperature drops and then the thermostat calls for more heat, it will kick it back to that higher feed setting. The other two settings are basically similar where one will, when the stove hits the temperature, begin backing down the feed rate every 15 minutes at different intervals until it gets to the lowest feed rate, and the other will back down the feed rate and shut it down if there is still no call from the thermostat.
Since I basically always run it at the lowest setting and it still burns me out of the house, only one of these modes works (the one that will shut it off) but I'm wanting to avoid having it turn off and on a dozen times a day I would think. Our winters in the northwest are fairly mild, just curious what people think about having it shut off and turn on alot, because I'm pretty sure my stove doesn't have a setting to shut off at 73, and turn back on at 68, which would be ideal. Sorry for the long response. Also sorry for typos and such typing this all from a phone.

Maybe by fine-tuning the program settings in a t-stat like the Honeywell you can better control room temps and minimize igniter usage--
Thermostat preference

As in my post above with a manual thermostat their is a setting inside that u can change it so instead of the normal .5 on/off setting u can change it up to i think 5. So if you set it at a 3 degree on / off and set the stat to 65 it would turn on at 62 and shut off at 68... u can change the setting to your liking so their is not such a drastic change in temp

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk