Thermostat for dummies, please help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

08specB

Mar 31, 2014
Ellington, CT
I have seen several threads about how people hookup honeywell or some kind of non Harman thermostat. Since I am a noob I would like it if someone could please explain to me the benefit of this and also how it works. I am getting my Harman XXV stove installed on 9/3 and as I understand on the side of the stove it has two tempature settings. If a thermostat is hooked up to the stove does it communicate wirelessly or does it need to be hardwired? What does/can the Harman thermostat do that others cant if anything?

Thanks

Jay

Go to top of forum,read "how your harman works" 3 times,study,then decide if you really need an external tstat.The built in system works great for most people.

Reactions: 08specB
I have been using the room temp probe that comes with the stove since I bought it. It works perfectly well, so I never felt the need to look into an external thermostat. Suggest using that for the first season so you can decide if it's worth any extra investment, chances are you will be happy with it.

Reactions: 08specB and Mt Bob
I have been using the room temp probe that comes with the stove since I bought it. It works perfectly well, so I never felt the need to look into an external thermostat. Suggest using that for the first season so you can decide if it's worth any extra investment, chances are you will be happy with it.
Using a P61A last year,
gotta say the built in thermostat works fine...
took a few days or say to Tweak it since it's not spot on..[until it's tweaked].
don't really see the need for an Add on but every one has their own opinions on it.

I don't have a Harman stove but I do use an external thermostat. Mine's wireless and I keep the transmitter at the far end of the house from the stove and is fully programmable.

Last edited:
I don't have a Harman stove but I do use an external thermostat. Mine's wireless and I keep the transmitter at the far end of the house from the stove and is fully programmable.
A Programable thermostat is good for setting a drop temp at night or while your gone during the day, so I can see using it for those reasons If a stove runs 24/7.
I'm home quite a bit so turning my temps up or down manually is no biggie..
I must pass the Living room thermometer 50x a day so I know what temp my house is all the time.

It's our primary heat source so we use it as much as anyone would use their regular furnace.

My stove does not have it's own thermostat. The stove would just go at whatever setting I left it on. The thermostat allows me to regulate the temperature within the house to within 2 degrees.

My stove does not have it's own thermostat. The stove would just go at whatever setting I left it on. The thermostat allows me to regulate the temperature within the house to within 2 degrees.
oh, I see..
I just assumed pellet stoves came with temp controlled thermostats..
I would also get the same if not for the rig I have,,

bottom line on a tstat is the stove is going to react to the input of the stat, if the "stock' system isn't getting it done (odd for a Harman) then an external is a possible fix. the stat is going to simply say to the stove 'I need heat" or 'I don't"
the stove will just do what the stat asks

The Harman's stat will do the job. I have mine also hooked up to a programmable stat as well. I use it for automatic set back and also to work with my furnace in a tag team setup (when one runs the other one doesn't). My Propane contract calls for a minimum 500 gallons per year. If I didn't need the 500 gallon tank for the standby power I wouldn't care and run the Harman all the time.
Ron

Thanks guys for posting up your thoughts. I am going to use the Harman thermostat and see how that works since everyone seems to like it

The Harman's stat will do the job. I have mine also hooked up to a programmable stat as well. I use it for automatic set back and also to work with my furnace in a tag team setup (when one runs the other one doesn't). My Propane contract calls for a minimum 500 gallons per year. If I didn't need the 500 gallon tank for the standby power I wouldn't care and run the Harman all the time.
Ron

A required minimum annual purchase would drive me nuts. I'm thankful oil companies don't do that.

A required minimum annual purchase would drive me nuts. I'm thankful oil companies don't do that.

My oil company requires a minimum 400 gal/year delivered to keep my service plan. I haven't told them about my Harman...

My oil company requires a minimum 400 gal/year delivered to keep my service plan. I haven't told them about my Harman...
I only have mine serviced every 3 years or so due to limited use.

Around here the oil companies usually give a per-gallon discount if you take more than something like 150 gallons on a delivery.

The 500 gallon requirement for me is only on there pre buy plan and to keep the 500 gallon tank. It saves me almost 40 cents a gallon over market price and it's locked or lower. Our price last year was 1.65 this year 1.80. Its worth it to me to have the 2 dependable sources of heat plus stand by power.
Ron

I have an oil burner and a 275 gallon tank. My furnace is just about 10 years old and I do not have/beleive in a service contract. I normally get it filled a couple times per year all in one shot. I just ordered oil the other day at $3.30 per gallon. Not bad for these parts

I have an oil burner and a 275 gallon tank. My furnace is just about 10 years old and I do not have/beleive in a service contract. I normally get it filled a couple times per year all in one shot. I just ordered oil the other day at $3.30 per gallon. Not bad for these parts
My recent order was at $3.24 per gallon. I shouldn't need a refill until next summer.

My recent order was at $3.24 per gallon. I shouldn't need a refill until next summer.

that is what i am hoping for. We have a tankless coil for now though inside the boiler for hot water. It is going bad so I am thinking of going with electric on demand system before the winter.

that is what i am hoping for. We have a tankless coil for now though inside the boiler for hot water. It is going bad so I am thinking of going with electric on demand system before the winter.

That's what we have and is the only thing we rely on oil for. We do use a small amount of oil heat to keep our unused lower level above freezing. We also switch over to oil heat if we go out of town just to keep the house from freezing when noone is around to fill the pellet hopper.

That's what we have and is the only thing we rely on oil for. We do use a small amount of oil heat to keep our unused lower level above freezing. We also switch over to oil heat if we go out of town just to keep the house from freezing when noone is around to fill the pellet hopper.

that makes sense. Prob with us is that the calcium in the water corrodes* the heating coil so I am going tankless on demand electric to save space and eliminate the boiler from running all the time. I would replace the coil but it would go bad in a year or 3 no telling. Last year we went through 3 tanks of oil I think and this year with our first baby on the way in less than 2 months we know we have to keep the house warmer.

that makes sense. Prob with us is that the calcium in the water corrodes* the heating coil so I am going tankless on demand electric to save space and eliminate the boiler from running all the time. I would replace the coil but it would go bad in a year or 3 no telling. Last year we went through 3 tanks of oil I think and this year with our first baby on the way in less than 2 months we know we have to keep the house warmer.
3 tanks of Oil..
I take it you don't have a pellet stove?

Status
Not open for further replies.