Thermometer advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

adjuster11

Aug 8, 2012
Lakewood, CO
I've signed up to take delivery of a Quadra Fire 4100i along with 30' of corrugated flue tubing, the kind with the rough flexy finish to go up my existing clay tile flue.

Is there some kind of thermometer you can put in the stack, above the stove, with a sensor like probe, that you DON'T have to drill through that flex tubing.

I'm thinking of something with a thin wire lead you could slip the probe in above the stove at the collar where it bolts to the corrugated flue, or something magnetic that works similar.

I saw the one that you drill through, but on that corrugated tubing, that seems to defeat the one piece of flue and also block future cleaning with a stick like object in the middle of the pipe.

Any advise is appreciated. Install guy that checked out the house said just use a magnet on the front but I'm wondering about monitoring the flue temps, using a little more advanced method.

On that 4100i, I believe you can only put it near the front face of the stove. Due to the design, it looks like all I'd be measuring "stuck on the front" is the temp above the firebox.

I'm thinking of a high temp version of the indoor/outdoor thermometer, with a sensor probe you open the window, and slide it outside, and is about the size of a pencil thickness x 1 inch long with a braided stainless wire. Or the same kind of gizmo, you have on your oven, to test your steaks or roast for doneness and temp.

If I'm over thinking this chime in, but before the install, seems like to time to do it rather than woulda, coulda, shoulda.

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] Thermometer advice
    CameraZOOM-20120804120302527.webp
    80.9 KB · Views: 98
Buy an infrared laser thermometer. I have a magnetic on my Buck, but it's always off. The infrared is great for checking stove & flue temps.

Reactions: fox9988
Status
Not open for further replies.