The Woodburner's Companion (Book Review)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stax

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 22, 2010
Southeastern PA
Anybody read this book? At 155 pages, it was rather a quick read. Read more like a history book. Dirk Thomas the author, a chimney sweep and New England woodburner for more than 30 years tells the story. Should have purchased the book before joining here a little more than a year ago because much of what I learned about wood, stoves and chimneys, I've already learned here.

On page 158, beneath recommended internet sources is...you got it...hearth.com.!

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] The Woodburner's Companion (Book Review)
    IMG_1489.webp
    72.5 KB · Views: 418
I saw this book for sale at an antique dealers store i was in a few days ago ( they sell new stuff too obviously ).

I think i may go back there and pick it up.

Yep, good book, read it a few years ago.

Yeah, I have that book. Read it about 4 years ago or so. Not sure I came away with any profound new insights, but I enjoyed the book nonetheless. Rick

Found that book in the public library stacks a year ago. Glanced at it and re-shelved. A few days ago, I reserved it. This time I'll give it a read.

I've got a copy and found it to be an enjoyable read. Nothing earth shattering, but it was a good preseason "fix" a few years ago.

Even if you know most of the info it's always interesting to read someone elses way of putting it together.

How about some books you guys have read related to wood burning?

Backyard Lumberjack. Frank & Stephen Philbrick

Father and son from Massachusetts. Great read, and good info on cutting, splitting, burning, and lumberjack competitions.

(broken link removed to http://www.storey.com/book_detail.php?isbn=9781580176347)

Vic, I was just discussing that over in the woodshed. Check out the commentary.

Looks like my house on the cover. Guess that means I should read it...

Status
Not open for further replies.