The wood fairy came by! ID inside...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbarf48

Minister of Fire
Dec 21, 2012
Stone Mountain GA
I came home today to a load of what my tree guy told me is maple. I was wondering if any of you guys know what kind?It splits real easy, but it smells terrible, and shockingly like fresh cat poop. My hands still stink ;lol

Heres some pics of the load and some split/bark pics

The wood fairy came by! ID inside... The wood fairy came by! ID inside...

The wood fairy came by! ID inside... The wood fairy came by! ID inside... The wood fairy came by! ID inside...

Cherry? Maybe apple or plum...Though i haven't split much of it, I have an ornamental cherry in the yard.
Edit: Guessing apple, final answer

Last edited:
I don't know, all the cherry I've dealt with has had rougher bark, and smelled way better ;lol

Do apple or pear trees get big? I don't know if the pictures show it well but this was a big gnarly tree, he noodled the bigger rounds before dropping them off (nice hookup huh?) and there are some real knotty pieces where the tree branched into a few smaller sections

It's Beech.

Indeed, nice hookup. I scrounged some road cut stuff recently that looked similar...have much smaller (4") apple trees growing, so I can't say for sure if the bark is right. They can get big, though. Peach maybe? You ARE in GA...that might be a felony down there lol..

It's Beech.

I thought so when I first saw it, but I just got done with a load of beech and this is way different. It splits super easy and straight, and the bark isn't smooth like beech. It's studded with lenticels (I believe that's what they are)

Maybe so haha. I'd just expect a fruit tree to smell better...my fingers STILL smell like I've been cleaning a catbox with my barehands

Beech was my first thought after seeing the pics ... haven't ever noticed a bad smell though with beech ... are you sure a cat didn't poop on your wood. :)

The bark is weird for beech. Since it came from a tree guy, I'd go with yellowwood (Cladrastis kentuckea), which is the only beech look-alike I know of bark-wise. Not an uncommon landscape tree, probably more so down your way. Heck, it may even grow in the woods by you!

Swamp maple can have a sour smell hence the nickname "piss" maple.

HEY. if the "Tree guy" who dropped it off said it is maple, then by golly IT IS MAPLE.:rolleyes:;lol

HEY. if the "Tree guy" who dropped it off said it is maple, then by golly IT IS MAPLE.:rolleyes:;lol

Well he's usually spot on with his IDs, so I tend to believe him, I was just wondering what kind if maple since I know there's a lot

Wildo, you might be right. Google images does show some smoother barked examples when you google swamp maple

The bark is weird for beech. Since it came from a tree guy, I'd go with yellowwood (Cladrastis kentuckea), which is the only beech look-alike I know of bark-wise. Not an uncommon landscape tree, probably more so down your way. Heck, it may even grow in the woods by you!

Never heard of yellowwood but this also looks like it could be it...

Th

Very interesting. I believe you have nailed it. Thanks for the education, yellowwood is one I had never even heard of.

The bark kind of looks like younger silver maple, but the smell doesn't match so much. I will go with the guys who say a beech variant or yellowwood as I don't have anything like that here. Maybe feral cats visited this tree a lot and fertilized it.

Don't know that much about wood but it looks like a sugar maple to me

Yellowwood looks correct. Fits the book description pretty well. Narrow range that it is found in explains why most of us have never seen it. Good job PP.

Yep I think you nailed it on the yellowwood Pete. I think you get a wood ID trophy or something for that one ;lol

Yep I think you nailed it on the yellowwood Pete. I think you get a wood ID trophy or something for that one ;lol
Good idea. I propose the trophy be called the Woodie! Design suggestions?

I'm always up for a challenge. ;) No trophies necessary, especially if its called a Woodie :eek:!

I'm always up for a challenge. ;) No trophies necessary, especially if its called a Woodie :eek:!
Yeah I wood agree, a trophy is HARDLY needed.==c

We have a Yellowood in our yard, and it does have smooth gray bark VERY similar to Beech.
My kids call it the elephant tree. I KNOW it is Yellowood, because I planted it.

So anybody have experience burning this stuff?

I'm hoping it doesn't smell so much once it dries out

I don't think it is maple. Not Red, Silver, Sugar, or Norway Maple, at least. I wouldn't be surprised if a tree guy wouldn't recognize yellowood, especially in the winter.

Yeah me either. Maple probably would've been better, but I do like working with new kinds of wood I haven't had before. Ill post a wood review once it's dried and I burn some ;lol

Wikipedia says yellowwood weighs 39.12 lbs per square foot, so that puts it at 5000+ pounds per cord

Status
Not open for further replies.