The plot thickens... can we revisit my fireplace problem?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

RCJH

Aug 1, 2024
I posted my symptoms over a month ago, and all the responses said that I had venting problem. That seemed to be the correct diagnosis because the fireplace started up and ran perfectly after I pulled off the glass front. But there's still something wrong that makes me question that diagnosis. Here are the updated symptoms and what I have tried (Mendota FV44i Fireplace Insert using LP gas):

A few months ago I turned on the fireplace using the remote. The pilot light came on, and a few seconds later the burners came on, but the flames were blue. That lasted for about 10 seconds, and then the burners and the pilot went out. I turned it off, waited a few seconds, and then turned it on again. The same thing happened, only the flames started to get a little yellow. I repeated this process 3-4 times before the fireplace would stay on. This continued for several more weeks, although it kept taking more attempts to get the fireplace to stay on, until one day after about 8 attempts I gave up. I even waited longer each time after the flames went out, up to 3 minutes, before I would try again. Then I accidentally stumbled on a solution that seemed to work. I normally keep the pilot light off, but this time I turned the pilot to continuous on mode and waited about 5 minutes before I turned on the fireplace. This time it worked - the burner flames started out blue, but eventually turned their normal yellow color and I ran the fireplace for about an hour. Since I don’t like to have the pilot on all the time, after I turned off the fireplace I turned the pilot back to intermittent. The next day I tried again, but I only kept the pilot on for about 3 minutes before I turned on the fireplace - it failed. And once it fails, I have to wait several more minutes before I can get the pilot started again.

Everyone on this forum told me that I have a venting problem, and that I should try removing the glass front before starting it. Much to my surprise, that actually worked - the pilot and the burners started up on the first try. I put the glass panel back on and went back to my original solution of running pilot for 10 minutes before turning on the burner. That worked for several more days, and I could run the fireplace for an hour or more. But I still didn't understand how it could be a venting problem. It seems that if there was a venting problem, or if somehow the intake vent was blocked, it wouldn’t work at all. Running the pilot for 10 minutes first worked for several more days, but for the past two days I can’t even get the pilot to light. I even took the glass front off this morning - the pilot will not start. I would appreciate any new thoughts you have on this problem.

Last edited:
Prior thread: