The non-cat battle!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

dvd1217

Feb 12, 2023
NYC
Having a discussion with a friend in terms of best performing non catalyst inserts. Between the Regency 2450 and PE Super. Any thoughts? I think they are comparable and it’s personal preference. He argues the HHV is better in PE. Though the emissions is better in Regency 1.4 vs 1.8…….Side note I’m not entirely sure what HHV means in terms of performance of unit. Thanks!

Having a discussion with a friend in terms of best performing non catalyst inserts. Between the Regency 2450 and PE Super. Any thoughts? I think they are comparable and it’s personal preference. He argues the HHV is better in PE. Though the emissions is better in Regency 1.4 vs 1.8…….Side note I’m not entirely sure what HHV means in terms of performance of unit. Thanks!
It means nothing when comparing those 2 that are that close.

Reactions: dvd1217
You first have to define what "best performing" means.
Most efficient, cleanest, most heat output, longest burn, lowest cost per BTU (maintenance and buying price), runs on the shortest flue, doesn't run away on the longest flue, smallest volume per BTU produced, etc. etc. etc. before a comparison can be made.

And then "best" is what is best for a particular situation. What's best for you may not be for me.

For the record I think the pe is a little bit better design. But the difference is so small pick.the one you like the details of better. They are bothe good reliable stoves neither will disappoint

Reactions: EbS-P and dvd1217
If the Regency has that new hybrid cat design with the cat right over the flue I’d opt for the PE.

If the Regency has that new hybrid cat design with the cat right over the flue I’d opt for the PE.
He is looking at the non cat one. But yes I agree completely

Reactions: Todd
I hear you that they are quite similar. I think the viewing glass is a bit larger with regency why I personally prefer that.

The Regency is a larger stove 2.4 cu ft vs 2.0 cu ft for the PE.

I have a Regency 2450, in my place up in western Maine. I think it does a terrific job of heating up that 1300 foot space or so. For comparison, I have the jotul 550 insert at my house and I think it’s night and day in terms of performance. I will say, and this can be a good or bad thing, depending on how you wanna look at it, I find that the 2450 is a very “easy breathing” stove. I have just barely the minimum length of chimney required in. This thing has absolutely no problem with draft and getting the stove up to temp temperature with good dry wood. I absolutely love it.

Reactions: dvd1217
I have a Regency 2450, in my place up in western Maine. I think it does a terrific job of heating up that 1300 foot space or so. For comparison, I have the jotul 550 insert at my house and I think it’s night and day in terms of performance. I will say, and this can be a good or bad thing, depending on how you wanna look at it, I find that the 2450 is a very “easy breathing” stove. I have just barely the minimum length of chimney required in. This thing has absolutely no problem with draft and getting the stove up to temp temperature with good dry wood. I absolutely love it.
So you are saying the Jotul is night and day better or worse? Do you have the block off plate and insulated liner? And if your height is shorter say 16-18’ and you worry about draft being to good would you benefit from non insulated liner? Never understood if that may actually help in that regard.

So you are saying the Jotul is night and day better or worse? Do you have the block off plate and insulated liner? And if your height is shorter say 16-18’ and you worry about draft being to good would you benefit from non insulated liner? Never understood if that may actually help in that regard.
A non insulated liner would hurt your draft if anything.

I mean that the Regency 2450 is better for me that the Jotul. Sorry I should have been more clear, the regency I have is a freestanding stove the Jotul is an insert. I make the comparison to just say that I think the regency 2450 freestanding stove is great. I doubt you would be disappointed with it.

There often will be a big difference in heat output between a flush insert like Jotul Rockland and a freestanding stove, especially if the insert is in an exterior chimney with no blockoff plate or insulation behind it. The freestanding Jotul F45 is a much better comparison to the F2450.

In general terms, the more an insert projects out on the hearth, the more heat it will put into the room with the blower off due to the increased exposed radiant surface area. Both the PE and the Regency do well in this regard.

The Regency is a larger stove 2.4 cu ft vs 2.0 cu ft for the PE.
What would you say is fair price for each? PE super at $2300 insert only seems good at place 1 hr away. They seem to have similar burn times and heat output even though the regency is bigger box.

Some dealers break out their pricing. Ask what is included. Check that the price includes the stove door. Does it include the surround?

Some dealers break out their pricing. Ask what is included. Check that the price includes the stove door. Does it include the surround?
Large surround too.

[Hearth.com] The non-cat battle!

That's a Super deal.

That's a Super deal.
I see what you did there, btw I’ve heard they were holding up sales of regency 2450 since they have to recertification with epa. I’m assuming it’s just standard practice? Or are they revamping specs to make it more efficient?

I see what you did there, btw I’ve heard they were holding up sales of regency 2450 since they have to recertification with epa. I’m assuming it’s just standard practice? Or are they revamping specs to make it more efficient?
The 2450 has already been recertified

The 2450 has already been recertified
Weird dealer up CT said they may not have 2450 this year due to it being up for recertification. In any event picked up Pe super for $2300 with large surround thought I couldn’t beat that deal. I just need an installer otherwise I do myself. I’m in northern Westchester if any one has recommendations.