the flue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnywarm

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 12, 2007
Connecticut
There are different setting on my flue in my fireplace? is this like the vent on the bottom of my glass door on the fireplace? if i open the vent a Little,is it just like me opening up the flue a little so the fire only gets a little air?

John

The stack damper regulates the draft (difference between air coming in and going out) and also regulates the amount of heat lost up the chimney. If set up correctly you will allow the minimum amount of heat up the chimney while still achieving enough draft to maintain burning and not push smoke into the house (if your stove isn't sealed).

Metal said:
The stack damper regulates the draft (difference between air coming in and going out) and also regulates the amount of heat lost up the chimney. If set up correctly you will allow the minimum amount of heat up the chimney while still achieving enough draft to maintain burning and not push smoke into the house (if your stove isn't sealed).

Its an open fireplace. Thats a great answer. I'm looking to put a cozy grate in the fireplace to warm up the den.I know the fire i can control from the bottom of the glass surrounding's but was wondering about the different settings on the flue.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.