the class A chimney was installed today. had a small test fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

ad356

Hearth Supporter
Dec 25, 2009
north java, ny
the class A chimney was installed on my barn today. had a small fire just a couple small logs. i'm so far impressed with this stove for being a fairly inexpensive US stove company small logwood stove, it seems to kick out allot of heat, of course its 50 degrees out right now and it was only a test burn. the chimney wasnt cheap but i did it right, it came to $800.

i have some questions about my setup. the stove is missing the damper, i do have a damper on the black pipe. the black pipe also got really hot and the paint smoked, but i assume this is normal. the class A chimney got hot but you could still safely touch it; it wasnt extremely hot. is it normal for the chimney to get hot or should it remain cold to the touch. the stove seems to radiate some decent heat and should be adequate to heat the small space i am heating with it. the entire building is probably 900 sq foot and when it gets really cold i could easily close the upstairs off.

i have what seems to me really good draft, no problems there. do i need to install a damper on the stove itself or is a single damper in the black pipe adequate. this stove will not be burning 24 hours a day but probably 4-5 hours at time at most.

i also wonder what keeps the draft from sucking the flames into the chimney?

sorry but i am a newbie at wood stove, although i have been heating my home with a harman P61 for the last couple of years, i have never had a wood stove.

I'm glad you have this stove out in the barn and not in the house. Is the stove installed with 36" clearances to combustibles in all directions and with a proper floor protector? The draft will be good because there is no secondary system in the stove and yes, nothing to stop flame from being pulled right up the chimney. That is why burning only dry wood and regular chimney inspection/cleaning needs to be done. In your first year I would check it once a month if the stove is being used regularly. Once the fire is going well and a coal bed established, use the stovepipe damper to reduce the draft. If the draft is strong you may be able to close it all the way. There are holes in the damper so it will still allow smoke to pass.

Post some pictures if you want a general visual check of the installation.

i would never put a cheaper stove like that in my home. that stove is too much of a low cost unit, not something i would want to burn 24/7. some heat now and then to do some repairs on the car yes but something i want in my living space... no. i do not trust it not to leak carbon monoxide into my home. in my home i have a harman P61, as we know not a cheap unit. i probably would have gone wood in the house but my wife is afraid of the possibility of bringing bugs into the house with firewood. i think firewood is an excellence source of heat, but my wife has a bug fettish; and if i were to use a cord wood stove in my home it would probably be a hot-blast furnace; for a free standing unit i like lopi, harman, or some other quality stove. i would not go cheap in the house.

floor is concrete so i dont think floor protection is nessary

the chimney is a sellkirk branded 6" class A chimneys. they are a forum sponsor so im guessing that's a pretty good brand

Last edited:
Sounds good. Is the stove installed with 36" clearance to all combustibles within 36"?

i have not measured the distance from the back wall, its well over a foot. i might get a fireboard just to be safe, nothing on either side of the stove nothing in front of the stove. i had a us stove 5510 in the same spot and that thing is a monster, its a huge unit that eats up more floor space then my harman does in my house, but it produced allot less heat. so i never had the area around the stove crowded nor would i .. i actually had the 5510 in the house, i wasnt happy with it there; i moved it to the barn and i was even less happy with it so down the road it went and a wood stove took its place. that 1261 cast iron wood stove seems to put out allot more heat; even though i know its not a really good wood stove, its better then that pellet stove was. now that i have a good chimney what would be a good upgrade stove if i decided to go that route. can i burn coal in the class A chimney or is wood the best bet with class A chimney for the durability of the chimney

how long can i expect a class A chimney to last?

Status
Not open for further replies.