The blower effect. Quick experiment. Trivia at 6 AM with coffee

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

moresnow

Minister of Fire
Jan 13, 2015
Iowa
Out of curiosity I protected the Cat probe with folded foil this morning. The blowers are running at half speed to catch up this morning. Whalla the indicated cat temp gained 200+ degrees in 10 minutes.

Food for thought for new users. The blower effect on your Cat probe temp indication is significant. And can be confusing to new operators.

The blower effect. Quick experiment. Trivia at 6 AM with coffee

Yeah, the blower cools the skin off pretty quickly. I'm surprised the probe is affected that much!

Reactions: moresnow
Yeah, the blower cools the skin off pretty quickly. I'm surprised the probe is affected that much!
The probe meter cools off super fast and easy since the bimetallic coil is exposed. You can knock it down a whole bunch by just blowing on it. The skin doesn’t cool that fast at all. An IR thermometer shows that.

What is the “skin” on a catalyst probe, the outer surface of the metal rod itself?

If I’m understanding this correctly; when I turn on my stove fan (blower) after engaging the catalyst, and the temp on the probe drops below 600f, this is caused by the fan’s cooling effect on the dial/reading end of the probe? My vents are across the top edge of the stove, right under the stove top itself, thus directly above my cat probe. I thought the fan was cooling off the stove; I suppose it’s a combination of both? If so I may like to fabricate a small air shield.