The Ashtrapper - Anyone ordered?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.
Save your money,the old way works just fine.

Gramps uses a wet/dry vacuum with a turkey tray in the bottom (sometimes filled with water, or beer) to catch the hot coals.

Before anyone says MAN THIS ISN'T A GOOD IDEA, Gramps taste in beer is horrible.

I think that covered shovel is the kind of thing you'll use one time. Then you'll throw the cover away and try to forget that you were suckered into paying $49 for a $3 shovel. :sick:

I also tried the ash vac. It was nice if I ever needed to clean out the ash around the edges for the rare times when I've pulled out the bricks and removed the stove for inspection. Beyond that, I sold it on ebay and don't miss it.

Get a $15 dollar hod and a long-handled shovel. Tip the hod into the opening of the hot stove while you shovel out the ash. The draft will suck the dust up the chimney.

tiber said:
Gramps uses a wet/dry vacuum with a turkey tray in the bottom (sometimes filled with water, or beer) to catch the hot coals.

Before anyone says MAN THIS ISN'T A GOOD IDEA, Gramps taste in beer is horrible.

Thats great :lol:

Just to get this thread back on track.
I really like mine - but it's the larger one from Canada that's no longer made, apparently.
It looks just like mine, from the video.

Once you learn to move slow when doing the ashes you'll find you really do not need anything special for doing it and you do not need to make a mess while doing it. Just learn how; move slow and never "dump" the ashes. It is more like laying the ashes into the bucket or whatever you are using.

RidgeHiker had two simple questions.
Has anyone actually bought one?
If you have is it well built, sturdy, etc.?

Anything else is off-topic. I am interested in answers to his questions.

Haven't bought and wouldn't. If you have a restaurant supply house close by you can get metal scoop, used for dry-goods and ice a lot cheaper and they are cast and they are heavy duty and they will do the same things. Or you can get a poly scoop for cold ash that is even better. I have used both I like the poly better.

Now LL, who made you boss of the day????????

littlesmokey said:
Now LL, who made you boss of the day????????
My wife did. %-P

There are already a gazillion threads on how to clean out ashes. I didn't think we need to hear them over and over and over...

The AshTrapper on the other hand, the OP has questions on an I for one would be interested in the answers.

Thanks LLigetfa for trying to keep it on track - it is helpful.

Thanks for all the suggestions:
As far as the draft sucking out the ashes: I have a small stove and often pull ashes out when there is not enough draft.

As far as doing it slow: Maybe I just need to learn the technique but I have a small hardware store covered garbage can (probably 5 gallons) and being able to tip it to let the ashes out slowly, while holding the shovel and the lid - well I may need to grow a third hand somewhere.

The $49 + shipping seems pretty expensive to me but I assume it is a one man operation and takes time to build. I like the idea. I just want to know that it is well made, durable, and works well if I am going to spend that much money.

I mainly just want to know about the product.

Last year Northline Express was selling two sizes of the Ashtrap. I purchased the 8" version for my Englander 13. It is one of the better purchases I have made through the years. The NC13 is so small, what I do is push all the ashes to the right side towards the rear. I separate out the bigger coals to the left side. Then I put the ashtrap in on the left side with the top open. Use my shovel to put all the ashes into the ashtrap, close the cover & then either put it outside on the cement step or if it is wet outside, I just dump it onto the ash pile. If it is nasty weather, I can just leave it sitting full on the hearth until a better time to empty it.
My ashpile is about 1 1/2' deep by about 6' round. I keep it raked flat so no leaves collect there & when there are hot coals nothing gets a chance to ignite. If it is windy, I will just shovel out a scoop, drop the new ashes in, & then cover it over.
Al

I've had my (large version) ash trap for a couple years and like it a lot. Take a nice size scoop, slide the lid down and out to the metal can without getting ashes all over the place.
It's plenty sturdy and if I remember correctly, it was no where near 50 bucks.

I bought the ash trap last year. It works as advertised. I use an old 4 or 5" putty knife to move ash toward the center of the stove then get the ashes out with one scoop of the ash trap. Much neater and faster than using a shovel and ash bucket.

Even though it works pretty well it is a bit flimsy for a $50.00 product.

This advertisement is for the "Ash Trapper" , I got the "Ashtrap" last year. Its a bit bigger than this one advertised. I LOVE it. I take hot coals out quite often. I can walk through the house with it and not have to worry about hot coals. Its quicker and more convenient than having to bring the busket in the house etc. I leave the bucket outside and carry the ashes to it with the Ashtrap.
I believe it also cuts down on ashes. With a bucket, the bucket has to be outside the stove. This scoops them out from inside the stove. I love it and use it everyday. Very well made and sturdy.
Cant speak for this model. I've looked for the "Ashtrap" and cant find it for sale anywhere anymore.

I called Ash Trapper and requested dimensions. Following is their reply:

"The dimensions on the Ashtrapper are 7" wide , 14" long and 5" high and the handle is 5" long."

If you figure out the capacity of the unit, multiply by .7, .8 or whatever for the maximum you could practically put in there with not too much jiggling around, and compare it with the potential volume of the ash you want to remove, I'm thinking you'll make more than one trip. The one I have is 13x15x5.5.
It's harder to move around in a smaller stove though, where the one above should excel, plus you might be able to fill it up better than the one I have.

I emailed the Canadian inventor of the original Ash Trap last year with some design ideas but didn't get any reply. I'm thinking that he had already given up on his invention. My idea was to have a retractable wire grate over the opening to sift out hot coals.

Save your money....

I went to Ace and got a small aluminum roasting pan with a lid. It fits into the firebox so I can shovel the ashes directly into it, put the lid on while it is still in the firebox and then take it out to the 5 gallon metal trash can (Also purchased at Ace.). No mess in the house. ;-)

I have tried to teach this to my husband but he won't listen. He brings the 5 gal. can in and 'dumps' into it....Think I will make him do the dusting next time. ;-P

Another great tool, I am going off topic here BUT it is related, that is cheap can be bought at a restaurant supply store and used for sifting coals out of the ashes. It is a 12" round deep frying 'spoon'. It is all metal and has a really long handle and cost less than 10.00

perplexed said:
I have tried to teach this to my husband but he won't listen. He brings the 5 gal. can in and 'dumps' into it....Think I will make him do the dusting next time. ;-P
Make him do the dusting wearing a miniskirt and then post some pics.

I've got to come up with a better way too as I'm in the doghouse because of the dust. The Ashtrapper is a lot of money for what it is and there will always be cheaper ways to do it. Placing a container into the stove and then trying to shovel into it could be a challenge with small fireboxes. The deep fryer dipper is a good idea too but it would be nice having all in one, and not having to store yet another occasional tool.

I think the Ashtrapper is priced for people that are prepared to pay more but yet not prepared to go all out and buy an ash vacuum.

LLigetfa said:
I think the Ashtrapper is priced for people that are prepared to pay more but yet not prepared to go all out and buy an ash vacuum.

An ash vac. is handy to have BUT I would not use it on a regular basis because it takes too long.....Can't be any coals over 1/2" thick or else hose gets clogged. Nozzel is only 1" in diameter and must be held right on top of the ashes - almost touching the fire box floor. Not at all like a regular vacuum. Time consuming but good to have handy when you really want to do a thorough cleaning of your stove or for when you spill ashes into hard to reach places...

The small roasting pan is small. Only about 12" long and 5"-6" high. Might have to do a couple of loads but it's no big deal. Mine gets stored outside on a shelf by the back door.

perplexed said:
The small roasting pan is small. Only about 12" long and 5"-6" high.
I only have 8 inches between the top of the andirons and the secondary burn tube so not a lot of room to maneuver a shovel. If hot unloading, I need to first shove everything off to one side and then rake the coals out of the ashes to the other side, so no real place to set a pan down onto the fire brick behind the andirons.

Ja, it sounds like an ash vac really needs a redesign. I really have my doubts about how well they would work given current designs. Also, I think they are only designed for warm ash removal, not hot ash with lots of hot coals.

I was going to order the Ash Trapper this morning. I am disappointed to report that the shipping and handling cost is $19.95 which brings the total to $69.90. I felt the $49.95 was high but I could justify it for a mom and pop business. Extra high shipping costs put me off in general and I cannot justify $70 for the product even though I got the feeling it would be a well made product.

They are in New York. I am in California. Perhaps the shipping would not be as bad for people living closer.

The roast pan in the firebox sounds good except I also have a small firebox. I probably will try it.

That was an easy solution! I bet that, with time, you will find some way to deal with your ashes that will work perfectly for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.