Thanks - just getting started

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Kensington88

Aug 23, 2024
Edmonton, Alberta
New Canadian in the mix and glad to find this resource.

My 2-car detached garage (500sf) will be soon welcoming the addition of a mini pellet stove (Cleveland Iron works No. 215) and I'm in the process of gathering info, pipes, adapters and the like to install.

It'll sit on the slab and I intend to install a riser, pop out the wall and clear the soffit just above.

I saw a YTuber who installed one of these in MidWest US with a nice two-port thimble for both exhaust and fresh air in the wall behind his stove. Looked like a reasonable way to go except I'd like to gain back a little heat and account for any possible rising smoke by installing a good size vertical pipe before popping out.

Any recommendations from the experience legion would be most appreciated.
Cheers,

Ken

I'm not sure about CA, but in the US it is against safety code to install a solid fuel heater in a garage (due to dangers of gasoline vapors; maybe in CA you can if the stove is mounted on a platform off the ground?)

Just looking at permits for home improvements - specifically heating and ventilation. According to the city website, a heating and ventilation permit is not required for installation of solid fuel burning appliances as long as the ventilation (flue pipe) is limited to combustion only. This must also pertain to fresh air intake.
Just a home improvement permit.
Looking into this now.

Thanks - just getting started

Reactions: Washed-Up
Here are the Ontario guidelines
According to B365-10 Section 4.3 Hazardous LocationsYou can install a wood stove in a garage using the following guidelines:

An appliance shall not be installed in a location where a corrosive atmosphere, flammable gas or vapour, combustible dust, or combustible fibres may be present. An appliance may be installed in a

(a) storage or residential garage, provided that the appliance is

mounted at least 450 mm (18 in) above floor level and protected

against physical damage; . . .

Ontario does not have separate guidelines for a Pellet Stove Our Building inspector
just tells us to use the wood stove guidelines Just shows how out of touch the governing body is.

The incredible shrinking car. so when you need it just add water?
Is that a rolls silver shadow next to it?

YOu have to have it 18" or more above the floor like posted above. You will also have to have a inspection done for your insurance. If you do not get a inspection they can void your insurance and they see that stove sitting their with no inspection done on it.. Contact a local inspector and get your requirements for your area they are usually more than helpful.

I called a friend who has just become an inspector - studied and passed exams etc.
He says that there's no inspection necessary. As long as it's installed as the manufacturer specifies in the instructions...
Maybe, it's still like the wild west out here?

It's easy to say that. The insurance might have a different opinion which could have severe consequences for the admittedly small chance you'd have to claim.

Do you want to risk your investment in that way? (If so then why do you have insurance...?)

He's in Canada.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited: