Temp probe question. Harman.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John Fortier

Feeling the Heat
Sep 29, 2013
I know this is a dumb question but will ask anyway,,,Would like to add length to the probe wire, must it be connected at the back end or can you snip the wire in half and just add length making double splice? Fire In the Hole!!!!:ZZZ

Just don't mess with the probe end. Think the manual even discusses adding wire to it.

It does, to do it I believe I need to pull the control panel out (?) Was looking for the LAZY way.

I know this is a dumb question but will ask anyway,,,Would like to add length to the probe wire, must it be connected at the back end or can you snip the wire in half and just add length making double splice? Fire In the Hole!!!!:ZZZ
I've added length to multiple probes without issues. Reason was to install millivolt thermostat so i could avoid wearing out the stoves
potentiometer(s) when making temperature adjustments. I recall manual stating its ok to add length assuming good connections and reasonable length.

I've added length to multiple probes without issues. Reason was to install millivolt thermostat so i could avoid wearing out the stoves
potentiometer(s) when making temperature adjustments. I recall manual stating its ok to add length assuming good connections and reasonable length
Thanks jzm...Can the original wire be snipped in half instead of adding and needing to connect added length to control board?

I just cut probe wires and soldered in an extra 20 feet of length. Cut was well away from probe end (1 or 2 feet from connectors). No need to mess around with stove internals.
Yep. I cut mine about a foot behind the probe head. No problem at all.

Was thinking way back adding wire to speakers. Cut wire, separate ends, light match, melt ends, pull off with fingers, burn fingers, twist ends together and electrical tape.:eek: Ahh the memories.

Status
Not open for further replies.