Temp differences between rooms?????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

tclapes1

Hearth Supporter
Sep 27, 2009
Madrid
So, hi again, id just asking my self about temperatures in the house.
Does them differ much degrees from stove room to the other side of the house. and of course, what about upstairs?????

Depends on the house. If it is open plan the heat moves easily. If the heat has to travel through doorways then there will be a big temperature difference between areas. Also, being in Spain the are a lot of crap stoves there. Make sure you get one with double combustion and fire brick lined. They are usually a few hundred Euros dearer but you will save that on your woodpile in a couple of years.

I find when the first two hours temperatures vary greatly but as the night progresses everything stabilized and becomes more even. I have a some what open plan, when I start the stove room gets quite hot of course which works its way upstairs hall way but the bedrooms and living room still chilly, by bed time the rooms get much more comfortable.

Depends . . . on the house lay out, how long I've been burning, if doors are closed or open and if I'm using a fan to help circulate the air. Usually there isn't a huge temperature difference, but there can be enough at times as to be noticeable.

although i use a celing fan in the stove room blowing up, and another floor fan located in the meddle of the hallway and blowing towards the stove rom, warm stays there, it seams to me that it doesnt goes out to the rest of the house.
Today as avery day... i´ve made a change, and if located the foor fan, in the first flor hall where the stairs goes up, but, now, its one hour runing and just 0,2 degrees diference from before. im shure im makin something wrong, question es what? or maby where?
thanks everyone

Smokey Foot said:
I changed my ceiling fan in the stove room from blowing up to blowing down. It seems to work better getting the heat to circulate for my two story floor plan.
Me too. Although it runs against conventional wisdom, the big sixty" ceiling fan blowing down towards the stove distributes the heat more effectively. My ceiling is 22' high at the peak of the loft area over the great room where the stove is located so that may have something to do with the results. I also have a small circular fan on the floor blowing towards the stove.

polaris said:
Smokey Foot said:
I changed my ceiling fan in the stove room from blowing up to blowing down. It seems to work better getting the heat to circulate for my two story floor plan.
Me too. Although it runs against conventional wisdom, the big sixty" ceiling fan blowing down towards the stove distributes the heat more effectively. My ceiling is 22' high at the peak of the loft area over the great room where the stove is located so that may have something to do with the results. I also have a small circular fan on the floor blowing towards the stove.

I think some change the ceiling fan to blow UP because there is usually much less direct breeze/wind on people that way. Wind blowing directly on you has a cooling (and drying) effect that makes some people less comfortable in the winter. Then again, in many setups people might want a little cooling from their fan when its in the "stove room" :)

Everything about heat distribution from a space heater depends on the three-dimensional layout of the living space and the provisions for moving air. Ceiling fans blowing up work better in some situations, while in others blowing down gives better results. Moving/mixing air vertically is relatively easy. Horizontally, not so easy. Our home, for example, is two stories, with the upper area partially "lofted" (open) to the great room with cathedral ceiling where the stove is, so I run that ceiling fan blowing gently down, because plenty of heat's gonna find its way upstairs anyway. In my workshop, on the other hand, the ceiling's flat at 10', and I run that ceiling fan blowing up with excellent effect. So, like so many things in life...it depends. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.