Temco adventure

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ryjay7887

Nov 21, 2018
tampa
I won't bore you with all the details...I want to replace my temco unit (TEC36-3A). A couple of the refractory panels are broken and falling apart, the blower motor is literally fried and the log grate is eroting away. I figured it would cost nearly the same to replace the broken parts as it would to replace the unit especially since I'm remodeling that area. I've been in contact with efireplace and found a supe7rior (brand) unit that is probably the newer version of what ibhave. They are saying I have to replace the chimney as well when though the temco unit is an 8in double wall (same as required on the new superior unit). Is this true? I imagine every manufacturer will say you have to hook a new fireplace to new chimney pipe and only use ours. anyone have experience with this? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I won't bore you with all the details...I want to replace my temco unit (TEC36-3A). A couple of the refractory panels are broken and falling apart, the blower motor is literally fried and the log grate is eroting away. I figured it would cost nearly the same to replace the broken parts as it would to replace the unit especially since I'm remodeling that area. I've been in contact with efireplace and found a supe7rior (brand) unit that is probably the newer version of what ibhave. They are saying I have to replace the chimney as well when though the temco unit is an 8in double wall (same as required on the new superior unit). Is this true? I imagine every manufacturer will say you have to hook a new fireplace to new chimney pipe and only use ours. anyone have experience with this? Thanks in advance.
You have to use a chimney that the manufacturer specs for that specific fireplace. So if you are using a similar fireplace it may be possible to reuse the chimney. But it is also very likely you wouldnt be able to.

Each unit is TESTED with a specific vent & many are not interchangeable.
You are being told the truth.
Many times removal will damage the existing venting & make it unusable.

Well dang...I was really hoping to save the few hundred dollars and the headache of running a new chimney...
Maybe I will just stick to replacing the refractory panels and looking for a new blower to fit in there. Any recommendations on places that will sell replacement refactor panels for a 90's model Temco? I looked at the panels in some superior units and they are similar but definitely different.

Well dang...I was really hoping to save the few hundred dollars and the headache of running a new chimney...
Maybe I will just stick to replacing the refractory panels and looking for a new blower to fit in there. Any recommendations on places that will sell replacement refactor panels for a 90's model Temco? I looked at the panels in some superior units and they are similar but definitely different.
If its condition is that bad it probably needs replaced anyway. They really only have a 15 to 20 yr lifespan

In y'all's experience, is it more cost effective to purchase refractory panels online or go to a fireplace store? I imagine the shipping costs are a killer. I didn't even think about just cutting my own to fit.
I understand these boxes only last about 20 years but after exposing the entire backside of the boxt and inspecting the inside, it looks to be in great condition still. The previous owners kept it immaculate.