Telescoping pipe thru thimble

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

garyrbeach

Dec 2, 2022
California
I've just had a wood stove installed by a licensed contractor, but after he left I noticed there is a sticker on the Duravent double wall telescoping pipe (60VL-46) that says "DO NOT PASS THROUGH WALLS OR CEILINGS"
This pipe is going through a thimble, does this make it OK to go through a wall?
Does the thimble itself require clearance from combustables (studs)?
Thanks for your help with this.
[Hearth.com] Telescoping pipe thru thimble

That is correct. In order to provide guidance we need to know more about the existing thimble. Please describe it and what it connects to,

If it is connected to the thimble and in the other side is class A or a liner, that could be okay?

Here is a picture of the thimble. The exterior of the thimble is 1/2 from a stud. The telescoping pipe runs though this thimble and has a 90° down to another telescoping pipe to the stove collar. And the other end goes to a 90° and then up to the ceiling support.
Thanks for all your help with this.

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] Telescoping pipe thru thimble
    PXL_20241021_185138993.webp
    154.2 KB · Views: 12
    PXL_20241021_190253615.webp
    262.2 KB · Views: 19
It sounds like this is an attempt to pass a stovepipe through a wall to then to up to class A chimney pipe in the adjacent room or area. That is not permitted. What is being proposed is dangerous.

The correct way is for the chimney pipe to continue down to a class A tee, and then a short piece of class A passes through the wall through a class A thimble that maintains 2" clearance from the class A pipe.

In the original post I wrote the part number dor the telescoping pipe wrong. It should be 6DVL-46TA. Here are pics of all my stuff. My main worries are that the thimble is too close to a stud, only 1/2 inch. And the sticker that says "DO NOT PASS THROUGH WALLS OR CEILINGS" on the telescoping pipe.
Here are pics of all my stuff

Attachments

PXL_20241021_214758630.MP.webp
    139.9 KB · Views: 16
    PXL_20241021_215053691.webp
    102.7 KB · Views: 14
    PXL_20241021_190253615.webp
    262.2 KB · Views: 18
It's a no-go. Stove pipe does not pass through a wall. Concerns about passing so close to wood are correct and warranted. It doesn't matter if the stove pipe is telescoping or not.

Last edited:
The answer is no, absolutely not. It doesn't matter if the stove pipe is telescoping or not. This is very dangerous!

If that is just a small wing wall that is not load bearing, consider removing or shortening it.

Thanks for all the help, but I still have a couple of questons. And I'm putting up another drawing of the current setup. The stove is in one room, the stove pipe makes a 90° elbow, then goes through a thimble into another room and then to another 90° to attach to the ceiling support.
If I can't go through the wall with this telesoping pipe, what type of pipe can I use here?
Would I be better off to make a transom style opening near the ceiling and run the stove pipe though a large opening into the other room? (I wouldn't even need the thimble)
If I do this I could use (2) 45° elbows instead of (2) 90° elbows.
I did make 4 or 5 small fires and the draft seemed fine. I was instructed to start with small fires to cure the paint. Then after some reading on this forum I became worried that my setup was possibly incorrect/dangerous and it's now dismantled waiting on your advice.

Attachments

CHIMNEY.webp
    12.1 KB · Views: 12
Thanks for all the help, but I still have a couple of questons. And I'm putting up another drawing of the current setup. The stove is in one room, the stove pipe makes a 90° elbow, then goes through a thimble into another room and then to another 90° to attach to the ceiling support.
If I can't go through the wall with this telesoping pipe, what type of pipe can I use here?
Would I be better off to make a transom style opening near the ceiling and run the stove pipe though a large opening into the other room? (I wouldn't even need the thimble)
I did make 4 or 5 small fires and the draft seemed fine. I was instructed to start with small fires to cure the paint. Then after some reading on this forum I became worried that my setup was possibly incorrect/dangerous and it's now dismantled waiting on your advice.
You cannot pass through a wall with anything but chimney pipe. Which means the chimney has to come out. Remove the support box add a tee and tee support then an appropriate length horizontal section with a wall thimble. All from the same manufacturer as your chimney pipe. Either that or remove the wall

Somehow, this is not sinking in.
The correct way was just restated after being stated in post #5. Please reread the responses.

A "professional" installer did this to my father as well, only the setup he was left with was much worse than this. Or, maybe not. Neither setup is usable.

I sympathize with the OP, because I know my dad had a tough time being told that he cannot use his stove like that and the professional installer put him and my mom in real danger.

OP, your installer kind of screwed you and should be fixing it or paying to have it fixed.

What bholler is describing is similar to a setup where the class A chimney pipe runs up the outside of a house, with the cleanout T at the bottom supported by a 90 degree bracket attached to the wall that the class A penetrates.

Reactions: bholler