Tee sloping down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ady5008

Oct 1, 2019
Central PA
We installed our stainless liner and tee. My dad was inside and attached the tee to the pipe with the clamp. He came back outside before we attached the liner at the chase cover and found out the tee slopes down, into the chimney, probably an inch or 2 in 24". That was after we trimmed the excess pipe above the chase cover. We tried unscrewing the liner from the chase cover and pulling the liner up, there's nothing to grab on to at the top without taking the chase cover off, and pushing it from below doesn't help. It fits pretty snug in the collar of the chase cover. Before I go on the roof again and go through pulling the whole chase cover off, is it worth worrying about?

We installed our stainless liner and tee. My dad was inside and attached the tee to the pipe with the clamp. He came back outside before we attached the liner at the chase cover and found out the tee slopes down, into the chimney, probably an inch or 2 in 24". That was after we trimmed the excess pipe above the chase cover. We tried unscrewing the liner from the chase cover and pulling the liner up, there's nothing to grab on to at the top without taking the chase cover off, and pushing it from below doesn't help. It fits pretty snug in the collar of the chase cover. Before I go on the roof again and go through pulling the whole chase cover off, is it worth worrying about?

Yes.

Yes

Smoke does not go downhill willingly. The tee connector should be pitched uphill toward the tee by at least 1/4" per foot.

Can you get channel locks to grip on it? Another thing you can do is slide a board in under the T and use that to push directly from the bottom.

Smoke does not go downhill willingly. The tee connector should be pitched uphill toward the tee by at least 1/4" per foot.

I see a lot of rear vent stoves with 12 or sometimes 18 inches straight pipe until the T that appear to join at 90 degrees. Is there a pitch there that I can't see? Or people just run it like that for simplicity

It's hard to see the slope in 18" in photos, but it should be there. At the very least it should be level.