Super Store It

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky

Feb 24, 2012
Southern Vermont
Ok Here is the question. I have my homemade 575 gallon thermal storage online. I think I worked out all the bugs to make everthing work together. So my question, my wood boiler is running, there is no call for heat so all heat is going into storage unit. My storage unit is at 180 and my wood boiler circulator is still on, but the fire is almost out. So my thinking is it is circulating the water in the storage unit and will never shut off? My aquastat on my boiler is set on 170 with a 10 degree diff. Right? Wrong?

Ok Here is the question. I have my homemade 575 gallon thermal storage online. I think I worked out all the bugs to make everthing work together. So my question, my wood boiler is running, there is no call for heat so all heat is going into storage unit. My storage unit is at 180 and my wood boiler circulator is still on, but the fire is almost out. So my thinking is it is circulating the water in the storage unit and will never shut off? My aquastat on my boiler is set on 170 with a 10 degree diff. Right? Wrong?
It sounds like it will never shut off if it's 10 deg higher than your boiler is set to.You say your storage is at 180 do you mean the shut off temp of the aquastat controlling the circ?
Nice new look around here eh!?

You need a sensor in your flue to shut the boiler off, or put it on a timer to shut off after the wood is gone.

You need a sensor in your flue to shut the boiler off, or put it on a timer to shut off after the wood is gone.

You could use a differential control (a solar controller) to operate the pump. It would kick the pump on when the boiler is warmer than the tank, then it shuts off when the tank is within a few degrees of the boiler. Usually 10- 12degrees on, 8 off.

You can also adjust a min. on temperature, 140- 150F to assure the boiler is warm and the temperature is warm enough to do some heating.

hr

Do you have a link or model number for this controler?

I disconnected the circ connection on the boiler controller and turned the job over to a Techmar 156 controller. Everything you need is incorporated in one little package.
I clamped one probe to the outlet pipe of the boiler and inserted the other into a well I had built into my 500 gallon upright tank about half way down.

Status
Not open for further replies.