super 27 too hot!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

speace1025

Jan 3, 2011
ky
Just a question but when I load my stove and set it on high until wood has become charred. Then I knock it down to about half for about 10 minutes the low on overnight burn. At first its fine but after about 30 minutes the secodary combustion is uncontrollable. I understand that this is a great design but if anyone knew of a way to control this via a damper or something over the secondary combustion hole etc.. Any help would be much appreciated.

How do you define "uncontrollable" and what sort of temps are we talking about here?

speace1025 said:
Just a question but when I load my stove and set it on high until wood has become charred. Then I knock it down to about half for about 10 minutes the low on overnight burn. At first its fine but after about 30 minutes the secodary combustion is uncontrollable. I understand that this is a great design but if anyone knew of a way to control this via a damper or something over the secondary combustion hole etc.. Any help would be much appreciated.

What are your stove temps?

As others said what are your temps and what stove do you have ?

shawneyboy said:
As others said what are your temps and what stove do you have ?

Title says Super 27.

speace1025 said:

Welcome to the forum speace1025.

Most folks are very happy when that secondary is working like it is supposed to. Once you get used to it, you very well may look forward to it. As for stove temperature, you should have a thermometer so you know what it is.

Also, it is very normal when you put a full load of wood in the stove that the stove will get hot. If you don't need it that hot then do not fill it so full, but then you won't get a long burn from it. Better to realize that the secondaries are designed to work in order to make the stove so efficient.

Well the stove temps usually run about 650 to 700 but the temp isn't the issue. It's the fact that if something happened I wouldn't be able to shut it down. I understand that this stove is safe and the secondaries are great and definitely working efficiently. I guess it's just a what if, or emergency situation. I've burned wood for years out in my pole barn with my old Fisher and when or if I needed to shut it down I could just close the air off. However I cannot completely shut the air off on my new stove.

put in a 5 dollar damper
and then you wont have to worry about it.

speace1025 said:
Well the stove temps usually run about 650 to 700 but the temp isn't the issue. It's the fact that if something happened I wouldn't be able to shut it down. I understand that this stove is safe and the secondaries are great and definitely working efficiently. I guess it's just a what if, or emergency situation. I've burned wood for years out in my pole barn with my old Fisher and when or if I needed to shut it down I could just close the air off. However I cannot completely shut the air off on my new stove.

I worried about this at first but rarely even think about it any more. However, you really can shut off the air if you have to. Just find where the air goes in and completely plug the hole. Most folks wad up some tin foil for this.

or that sounds even cheaper and easier

My Super 27 gets pretty hot. It made me nervous at first also (I grew up with an open stone hearth - no controls as such), but I've accepted it. What still makes me wonder is the temp around the flue collar. It reads about 800 - 850F, while at the centre of the stove top it is around 650F. Not sure if this is normal or not.

speace1025 said:

Not sure if this is normal for your stove . . . it's pretty hot for my Oslo . . . and getting close to the "oh crap" feeling I would have if I saw those temps.

As mentioned if you were really concerned about being able to shut things down you could get a stove pipe damper . . . or simply do as Backwoods mentioned and learn where your air intake is and know how to block this off if need be . . . truthfully though . . . in three years I have only once wanted to shut down the stove . . . and that was when I did something very foolish and knew as I was doing it that it was a foolish thing to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.