Super 27 blower - observations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

hemlock

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
May 6, 2009
east coast canada
Hello,
Installed a blower on the Super 27 last night, and as of it's first night, am pleased. The heat seems much more even on the ground level, and moves to the upstairs part of the house quicker. It is fairly quiet, even on the "high" setting. Last night was quite warm outside, (0C/32F) - so the real test will be on a cold day (not too far off I don't think).

It does seem to take a while to come on while on the "auto" setting. Is this normal? Thanks.

yes. I had that same concern with mine, when I first got the stove. I thought I had burned something out in the blower in two days of use!! The stove has to heat up so much for the blower to kick on. I use mine manually instead of Auto, when I'm at home. I find myself having to shut it off Manually (when its set to Auto), because to me, it stays on too long. No worries there.

I've actually (just now in the heating season) began to see the benefits of the blower, with my stove. I was always concerned with cooling off the stove too much with it, as the stove top temps decrease by about 150*. But have decided to use it lately and man, what a difference. The heat definitely finds its way upstairs much easier with it, and is distributed much more evenly down in the stove room. Too bad I waited until February to really try it out!!! >:-(

I also used the auto setting on a steel convection stove in my home. Being the sucker ran 24/7 I just ended up putting the blower on low after a while and kept it there.

I run mine at low/medium low and leave it there for the bulk of the burn. Huge difference. Haven't even tried it on high. Would definitely think High would cool down the stove top temp a good amount.

hemlock said:
It does seem to take a while to come on while on the "auto" setting. Is this normal? Thanks.

Yes, the sensor tab should be touching the bottom rear of the stove, the coldest spot, on a cold restart, it could take up to 1/2 hr to get that area warm enough to trip on the fan. Double check that the sensor is making proper contact with the stove body. The directions mention this and how to bend the tab to make contact etc.

FYI when the stove cools, the fan will cycle on and off until the stove body is completely cooled...

It was a little chilly out last night (-7C/19F), with a good wind from the North, and the blower made a noticeable difference in evening out and moving the heat around the house. My only question is why I waited 4 years to get one.

hemlock said:
It was a little chilly out last night (-7C/19F), with a good wind from the North, and the blower made a noticeable difference in evening out and moving the heat around the house. My only question is why I waited 4 years to get one.

I still think that's better than HAVING one, and waiting 4 months to use it, like i did!!! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.