Summers Heat / Madison temps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jorswift

Jan 25, 2016
Indiana
I just purchased from Lowes. Now have to tear out and install in a corner. Looking to do a stone surround. What are you all getting for temps around the unit? Some of the stone veneer stuff says not to exceed certain temps. Thanks.

Follow the installation manual regarding clearances and you should be fine. This includes stove and piping.

Which model did you get there 3 sizes in the Summer Heat line 1800.2000 and 2400. Dont do Z-brick or similar, as it will fall off the wall when it gets hot. as the adhesive melts. Anything thats mortared in can take a lot of heat.

I dont have a Madison, but when my 2 cu ft. stove is cranking the drywall behind the stovepipe gets to around 130::F If I remember correctly. Behind the stove is much less. The stovepipe is the biggest offender as mine has a rear heat shield from the factory. I always intended to add a pipe shield but have yet to do so.

I got the 2000sqft model. The stuff that my wife likes has a peel and stick adhesive, but I would use mortar.
I was asking because i have the 2400SF model and have all kinds of problem with the door warping.I now have a replacement stove that came with a warped door and stove body brand new.

I was asking because i have the 2400SF model and have all kinds of problem with the door warping.I now have a replacement stove that came with a warped door and stove body brand new.
It seems like you got a personal vendetta against this stove. Think I've read 436 times about your warped door. I hope it doesn't sway anyone's opinion to purchase the 2400 model as others have rave reviews.

Not being rude or judgemental.

It seems like you got a personal vendetta against this stove. Think I've read 436 times about your warped door. I hope it doesn't sway anyone's opinion to purchase the 2400 model as others have rave reviews.

Not being rude or judgemental.
Only because they sent me a replacement stove recently with EXACTLY the same defect. Actually i love the stove and burning characteristics and have said so often . If i can ever get a flat door for it ,it will be my favorite stove (of 5 stoves). I would urge anyone considering the 2400 to take a straight edge with them to the store and ck the stove and door before purchasing.

I got the 2000sqft model. The stuff that my wife likes has a peel and stick adhesive, but I would use mortar.
This stove is now selling for $399.00 at lowes in my zip code. Let me know how you like it. Mostly good reviews. Seems like a great deal.

The SW01 is the Madison. The SW02, they call it BIG STOVE. The only thing they have in common is the AAS feature. I have both. I don't think the 1800 SF is related at all to them cause is the tnc13. They have no relation, I don't know about the 13 cause never burn one but the Madison is better well designed than the SW02 in my opinion.

the Madison is better well designed than the SW02 in my opinion.
Looks identical, only smaller and being smaller, doesnt seem to have the door problems. Some reviewers have stated they have to drill out the dog house hole larger,but it think thats mostly for higher elevations.

Looks identical, only smaller and being smaller, doesnt seem to have the door problems. Some reviewers have stated they have to drill out the dog house hole larger,but it think thats mostly for higher elevations.
Madisin doesn't have the step on top, it is flat top. The dog house is at front built in the frame not almost in the center of the fire box as the SW02. Has adjustable door hinges. In my opinion perform better too. They are two different animals, like I said the only thing in common is the AAS feature. Something that you need to know under what conditions you use it, cause it doesn't work all the time and you can overfire the stove. If you are doing hot reloads to keep up with heat demand is better not to use the AAS. The stove has to lose temp before reuse it. Like I said if hot it can stick open and cause overfire.

Theres only one review of the SW-02 on this site under stove reviews and the reviewer had the EXACT same problem with the stove citing a severely bowed door and stove body. However Englander replaced that stove with one without the defect. Also in the reviews on the Lowes site have several customers with the very same problem as well as others on hearth.com. So far i haven't seen a single review of the SW01 with a door/sealing problem so that model seems to be solid all around. Thinking of selling one of my NC-30s and replacing it with the SW-01.

Englander stove sales prices all over the place. The 2000 was $399 for about 2 weeks. Now its back to $599(At my local Lowes) The 2400 is $499 at some locations but $999 at my local store. I was seriously thinking about grabbing the 2000 at $399 but i already have one stove too many.