Summers heat clearance requirements. New guy confused by descriptions.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ksracer

Nov 25, 2019
Wichita KS
Hey guys, installing my small Madison into a corner and I'm confused by which chart to use. I'm assuming by "side shields" they're referring to the baffles that came installed on the outside of the stove that the blower pushes air through? Since it's going against brick, I'm not too concerned about the "E" dimension, but the "F" dimension is reduced to 15" for single wall pipe, when everything else I read says 18" to combustibles. I'm trying to get it as deep into the corner as I can to avoid putting the chimney through a seam in the corrugated steel roof.
Thanks for any insight!

Attachments

• Summers heat clearance requirements.  New guy confused by descriptions.
    IMG_20191130_093706.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 102
    IMG_20191130_093634.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 89
    IMG_20191130_094218.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 96
    IMG_20191128_092733.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 86
The last picture confuses me. Where is the stove at?

If there are wooden studs behind the brick wall, you still have to take "E" into consideration.

The last picture confuses me. Where is the stove at?

If there are wooden studs behind the brick wall, you still have to take "E" into consideration.
Sorry, the last pic is just for show. It's the outside of the opposite corner.
The wooden studs are above the wall, and set back several inches from the edge. Nothing but concrete behind the bricks.
I'm mainly confused by how adding side shields to the stove reduces the minimum clearance of a single wall pipe. As long as I maintain 18" from pipe to studs, I should be good, right?

That's correct. That's a lot of mass that's going to take awhile to heat; the brick with concrete behind it. But looks like small room unless it's open to the main dwelling.

That's correct. That's a lot of mass that's going to take awhile to heat; the brick with concrete behind it. But looks like small room unless it's open to the main dwelling.
It's an 18'x20' sun porch. No insulation, very drafty. I have no intentions of heating it to living conditions, the stove is just to take the chill off. It's as much decoration as anything.

Reactions: MAD MARK
The stove needs to be kicked further out, single wall pipe is a minimum of 18" so that takes precedence over any other measurement for the stove, you can retain your minimum stove clearance if you switch to double wall or install a heat shield on the back of the single wall though.

The E dimension is still important if there is a stud wall behind the brick. With the side shields the corners of the stove need to be 5.5" from the wood behind the brick. Looks like you are ok if the picture is showing the final stove location. Single wall stove pipe is going to need 18" from any combustible regardless. Double-wall stove pipe is typically 6" clearance.

Begreen he said that there is nothing behind the brick but concrete. Use double wall stove pipe so your clearances are better. Looks like a great 3 season room!

Begreen he said that there is nothing behind the brick but concrete. Use double wall stove pipe so your clearances are better. Looks like a great 3 season room!

Thanks! We're looking forward to getting it closed in.
In hindsight, I should have just spent an extra $100 and got the double wall, but I didn't understand what I was looking at on the shelf. It was in the wrong bin and labeled " adjustable". Now I realize there is adjustable lengths, as well as shorter lengths in double wall, where as single wall is cut to length, slid all the way up the chimney adapter, and then back down into place. Anyway, I want to burn it tonight and I'm not going back to the store. I'm happy with the location and I'm right at 20" to the studs with the single wall pipe.

Thanks! We're looking forward to getting it closed in.
In hindsight, I should have just spent an extra $100 and got the double wall, but I didn't understand what I was looking at on the shelf. It was in the wrong bin and labeled " adjustable". Now I realize there is adjustable lengths, as well as shorter lengths in double wall, where as single wall is cut to length, slid all the way up the chimney adapter, and then back down into place. Anyway, I want to burn it tonight and I'm not going back to the store. I'm happy with the location and I'm right at 20" to the studs with the single wall pipe.
You'll be fine. I missed the concrete wall behind the brick. That will act like a sponge to the heat and will transfer a lot to the outdoors. The first few burns are going to be smoky as the paint breaks in.