Summers Heat 50-SFP12 installed and running

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danno77

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 27, 2008
Hamilton, IL
The Summers Heat 50-SFP12 (Englander 12FP) is sitting in my old fireplace right now. It's on a cement slab, so no hearth concerns. I took off the entire mantel, so no clearance issues.

I did end up using black pipe with a blockoff plate and ran into a planning issue at the chimney top. I have the adapter, the Class A pipe length, but I somehow ended up without the Chimney cap or rain protector or whatever it is called. I KNOW I put it in the cart. When I was at the register I asked the clerk to give me a total midway through and I realized I was wayy over what my wife would allow, I said "ok, I want this, not that, this, not that" and must have overlooked the cap.

Well, without the cap i didn't want to have uncapped type A, so I installed a length of stove pipe (cringe) that is exterior. I happened to have a cheap galvanized top for a vent pipe, so that is in place, but i think it might be restrictive, not sure.

So, one trip back to the store this weekend to get that cap and I'll be set.

On another note, my wood doesn't seem to be quite as seasoned as I'd like, but close. At this point I don't have much of a choice and will just use what I have and hop up on the roof several times to keep track of buildup.

break-in wasn't as bad as I expected. It really just smelled like burning wax, maybe a little bit like an electric motor when it gets hot. I couldn't find directions in the manual for the correct methods, but thought I remembered three cycles of increasing intensity being the recommendation. That's what i did. Third fire didn't even smell.

Anyway, threw some hefty logs in there today at 10:45am, started up fairly quickly with a couple of tiny cuts off of these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000DH4O3

When I knew it was burning well I pulled it back to about 2/3 and went to work. (took 30 minutes to get to 300)

12:00 I started wondering if it was safe (I've burned before, but you just get nervous with a new stove, this is only my 7th burn in it, but first unattended)

Drove home, and as I pulled up I didn't see a lick of smoke out the chimney. that's NICE! Temp was like 500ish, so i started wondering if it might not get out of hand while I was away, so i choked down to 1/2 and went back to work.

1:00 Just to be safe I went back to check it out, and I could see a little smoke in the exhaust, but not much. Went inside and temp was more like 400, so I put it back up to just under 2/3 and here I am back at work.

The thing I'm most enamored with is the reason I got this thing. I'm using SOOOOO much less wood to run it! I throw three splits in and am good for 4 hours of running pretty hot, or I can choke it back to more like 350 and run for about 6. I am hoping that most of the moisture is just on the surface, but I'm afraid it isn't Most of it is only seasoned since April, but it's so much better than any other years I've burnt. I'm already ahead for next years wood, depending on how much I burn. I might not actually burn less with the new stove because It seems to be so much easier than the FP, and more effective in sending heat to adjacent rooms (I think I was drawing sooo much cold air from the house that the adjacent rooms were chilly because they served as cold air returns!) Now the heat rises straight from the stove and warms those rooms (kinda a split level thing going on).

Another problem is that I still have some firewood for the FP that is just too darned long to fit in the stove!

Isnt the englander 12 a 35-1 fireplace aka stove i thought i heard that somewhere. I dint know you could adjust the air on a 35-1

brokeburner said:
Isnt the englander 12 a 35-1 fireplace aka stove i thought i heard that somewhere. I dint know you could adjust the air on a 35-1
you are correct, and you are correct by being mystified. It's not normal to be able to do that, BUT:

"The only exempt unit with air control!*" then below "*Air control provides some limited air adjustment."

I find it does a pretty decent job of controlling it. but remember that I'm coming from a FP where control = moving logs around or adding them. In comparison to a super efficient EPA stove it might really stink, i dunno.

another kick but evening! Did my first ever all night burn in the stove last night. When I was home the second or third time yesterday, i actually shut the furnace off. My house is 3272 sq feet and three stories high if you count the finished attic (ok, so it's technically a 2 1/2 story house, then). Really I would have been heating 2597 throughout the day and night. Understand that the furnace took me up to 70, then i used the stove to keep it as warm as I could.

Temps this morning were 76 in the room with the stove, up 1/2 flight of stairs to a kitchen and it was 73, then the furthest rooms on the first floor were about 68, upstairs the bedrooms were 69 this morning. For the record outside temp all night was around 53, maybe down to about 51 this morning. It was not very windy at all.

Breakdown is as follows: Top floor is electric heat (420 sq feet), Laundry on first floor is electric supplementing one small furnace duct, so electric when that's off (144sq ft), the master closet off of our bedroom has a electric baseboard heater in it (floor about 15x8, but sloped ceiling gives something like 75sq ft), there's an unconditioned Foyer (36sqft) and a storage closet accessible from the outside only (50sq ft).

So, Very pleased with the stove's ability to heat the house appropriately in mild weather. My house is old and drafty (an ongoing process) so I don't think it would be so feasible if it was windy, even if it wasn't THAT cold outside.

Not bad for a stove rated at 1,00sq ft! (by the way, it was an overnight burn, but i added wood to it to keep temp up at about 11:00, 2:30, and left wifey home with only one log in it on top of the red hot coals.

I'm happy you like the stove, but, given its 50+ degrees out, I highly suspect your now-glowing report will change significantly when the temp goes to 20.

Just remember its a small stove and you have a big house that you admit is drafty. When it cannot keep your house warm later into winter like it can now, don't blame the stove! We're talking simple math here.

Frostbit said:
I'm happy you like the stove, but, given its 50+ degrees out, I highly suspect your now-glowing report will change significantly when the temp goes to 20.

Just remember its a small stove and you have a big house that you admit is drafty. When it cannot keep your house warm later into winter like it can now, don't blame the stove! We're talking simple math here.
Oh yeah, the whole point of the stove was to heat an area that just isn't getting the heat it should because of insulation, location, and ductwork issues. It was meant to heat this one space which is about 24x12 (288 sq ft) but is located at the bottom of a split level kinda deal, with a vaulted ceiling and sits on a concrete slab. it just gets darned cold down there. in the upper 40s in the coldest part of winter if i don't burn in the fireplace (now stove).

Actually, I take that back, the original point of the stove was to close off that downstairs area and since we've moved our primary family room to elsewhere in the I figured we'd put the stove there and heat most of the first floor. Wife wasn't happy with hearth size and clearance issues (i thought I had a decent spot for it) so i moved it down to the FP.

Status
Not open for further replies.