Summers Heat 2400-sq ft 50-SHSSW02 Door Problems.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Seasoned Oak

Minister of Fire
Oct 17, 2008
Eastern Central PA
Iv only used the new stove a few times and have discovered that lately its been very hard to maintain steady temps. I started checking the door gasket and discovered the stove surface around the door itself is bowed slightly top and bottom . Not that much though, possibly 1/32 to 1/16 in,a good gasket seal should cover it. The big problem is the door itself which is bowed at least an eighth of an inch top and bottom. So i have gaps in the gasket top and bottom and on the latch side as well. I can still use the stove but i can only put a few pieces of wood in it otherwise the temps keep going up past the recommended operating range. The air control has very little effect or control of the fire. Im going to call Englander help line tomorrow to see what the remedy is. I hope im not on the hook for a new door ,worse a new stove.
Edit : After checking with a straight edge,iv discovered the stove body is warped about an 1/8 in at the bottom center and slightly less at the top center. Both top and bottom of the door are bowed out about an 1/8 over 75% of the distance between the corners and the center.
20181130_173517.jpg20181129_172559.jpg

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken there were some issues and a recall on summers heat stoves sold by lowes last year

If I'm not mistaken there were some issues and a recall on summers heat stoves sold by lowes last year
Yes iv been reading about those but i havnt had any problems until now. Im wondering if the door is just not heavy enough. I cant imagine it leaves the factory that way

This was seen on some new stoves IIRC. Get a replacement door.

A warped door should be a warranted item and a safety recall.

Did you send in the warranty registration info?
Do they refuse to honor their warranty based on that ? If thats the case im out of luck. Will be interesting to see if Englander lives up to its stellar warranty service reputation. IV never sent in those warranty cards for anything, ever ,and iv never been refused warranty service based on that. Although iv never had a problem with a wood stove until now.

Reactions: Highbeam
Let us know. Without excellent service englander becomes a much less attractive brand.

So far not much luck getting through to a live person at Englander. I sent them an Email so ill wait for a response to that. Been on hold for a half hour in a call que. That gets old fast.

It's their busiest time of the year.

Reactions: fespo
It's their busiest time of the year.
I did get an answer to an email in a few minutes. They said just keep trying.
I wondering what the remedy would be in case they wont do anything about it. I have about an eighth inch of bow on the stove and the same on the door for a total of 1/4 in at the center of top and bottom of the door. The door gasket corrects about an eighth inch of that. I can only add about 2 med sized splits at a time or the stove top temps keep climbing. Manual recommends 350 to 550 avg stove top temps. stating that 600 is ok for short periods of time.

Last edited:
I'm going to assume you meant an 1/8" bow on the stove. If the door is bowed it needs to be replaced. Place a straight edge on the stove body and take good pictures of the bow. Do the same for the door. And if possible take a picture that illustrates clearly the gap when closed. 1/4" is huge and dangerous. Send them the pictures so they can see what you are seeing. Be polite but very persistent. It could be the stove needs to be replaced, not just the door.

I'm going to assume you meant an 1/8" bow on the stove. If the door is bowed it needs to be replaced. Place a straight edge on the stove body and take good pictures of the bow. Do the same for the door. And if possible take a picture that illustrates clearly the gap when closed. 1/4" is huge and dangerous. Send them the pictures so they can see what you are seeing. Be polite but very persistent. It could be the stove needs to be replaced, not just the door.
Iv yet to get through to anyone but ill keep trying. Id be happy to do it through emails. yea 1/4 inch is a lot. Even with a new door the gasket would still have to make up 1/8th in. A tall order for a gasket. I probably only had 15 to 20 fires in the stove altogether since i got it,which is nothing. It didnt start acting up until recently.

I emailed the company at their service email because its just about impossible to get a live person on their 800 number. .So far the Stellar customer service has some flaws. Ill know more if i can ever get to talk to a live person or get an email back that doesnt just tell me to keep trying the 800 number. I would much rather handle this through Emails as i dont have the whole day to sit on the phone waiting in and endless Que.

Seems this was only on the earliest models. @stoveguy2esw is there an alternative number here to get through so that we can get him burning safely.

I just got an email that they have me on call back after 5 PM so thats fine. I know they are busy. Ill update after i talk to someone.

Perhaps l can get a few points being the proud owner of, NOT one, NOT two, but 3 of their wood stoves. ::-):)

Mine didn't pass the bill test and they sent me a new gasket and RTV. i replaced it and everything was okay till the time i removed it from hearth. I cant understand why they didn't make the door the same as the Madison with adjustable hinges. That is one thing i like about the Madison.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chas0218
A tech called me tonight about 7.30 and asked for pictures of the stove door and stove body against a straight edge. So ill do that tommorow. He was very apologetic about the difficulty in getting through this time of year which i perfectly understand.

I nearly bought that stove. I was even in Lowes and asked an employee to get me one. He said he'd be right back after he helped another person. After a long wait I just walked away and didnt buy the stove. The longer I stood there looking at it, the thin casting on the door made me start to second guess. I have seen great reviews on it though. Hope it's just the door and they get you back into burning right quick.

Oh, and I think it's against the law to refuse warranty service based on an unreturned warranty card. Maybe it depends on what state you are in.

The tech that called me back didnt ask me anything about where i got the stove or date of purchase or the warranty card . Only that i send pictures of the Bowed door and stove against a straight edge. So ill be doing that today. I really like the stove otherwise so im determined to fix the problem and keep using the stove. I wonder if they redesigned the door????

The tech that called me back didnt ask me anything about where i got the stove or date of purchase or the warranty card . Only that i send pictures of the Bowed door and stove against a straight edge. So ill be doing that today. I really like the stove otherwise so im determined to fix the problem and keep using the stove. I wonder if they redesigned the door????

I have read that they burn really great otherwise. I still go back and forth wondering if I should have bought your stove. It came with the auto setback and a blower too and it was less than mine without those things. Oh well.....quit with the regrets....lol. They will drive you insane!

I forwarded the pics to englander service of the stove and door that clearly show about 1/8 in of warp in both the door and stove,top and bottom. Its just about impossible for a door gasket to make up 1/4 in total of gap between the corners of the door to the center of the door top and bottom. A new door would help a lot but still have to make up 1/8th inch of gap at the center. Ill give them a few days to digest those and see what happens. Im wondering what they did to the doors to stop them from warping. They are kind of thin. Also since iv only did about 2 dozen burns in this stove ,im wondering why this door problem didnt show up during testing of this stove design. Im surethey tested the design with more than 2 dozen burns.

Mine didn't pass the bill test and they sent me a new gasket and RTV. i replaced it and everything was okay till the time i removed it from hearth. I cant understand why they didn't make the door the same as the Madison with adjustable hinges. That is one thing i like about the Madison.
Adjustable hinges would not help me as the door is fine at the hinge, but bowed out in the center top and bottom.