Suggested cap for my scenario

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

thebearded1

Dec 4, 2018
Southern Maryland
Here is the scenario: 1988 Woodstock Palladian (round cat), chimney masonry lined with insulated flexible liner and 4' Class A pipe on top. Total vertical chimney from stove to cap is 16' with a 90 bend and a tee connector. The house is located on the western shore of the Chesapeake Bay in MD so I was worried about draft problems due to wind. The red dot represents my chimney in the photo. The photo orientation is north is straight up. The house to my west is about 20' away from the chimney and is 2 stories, mine is only a single story house.

I'm looking for a cap that will help give me the best draft possible as I know this chimney is on the shorter side which is why I added the 4' Class A pipe. I've heard the VacuStack cap can hurt draft when its not windy and can be a pain to clean. Rockford does make a cap that allows the VacuStack to be used on Class A pipe. Others have had good results with the "rooster tail" caps they just requiring some maintenance such as greasing and cleaning to keep operating well. Should I just start off with a regular cap such as the RockVent Standard Cap and see how it goes?

I know there is never a black and white clear answer for every situation but just trying to go about this the best way possible. Thanks for everyones input!
Suggested cap for my scenario

Are you having trouble or anticipating it?

Are you having trouble or anticipating it?

Sorry I should have clarified that, I'm anticipating issues since a lot of people on here have said this seems like a short chimney. I have never used a stove in this house so not sure of what to expect. I'd just hate to buy something and then have to buy something else to replace it the following year.

If you have have extended the chimney, I would wait and see what effect that has.
Likewise, check through old threads about backdraft or downdraft issues. There are a several options out there besides the vacu-stack that might work for you.

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk