Suggest wood stove for heating 1400sq foot cottage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
S

Sylus

Hello everyone,,
My parents built a 1400 sq foot cottage without really planning the heating system. Insulation and drywall is in so likely too late to run water piping for a wood boiler style system. They were eyeballing a pacific super classic 27. I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for a more efficient wood burning unit, also, does a unit exist that can also burn pellets, charcoal, or other fuels in case wood isn't available? If it helps, the cottage is in sw Ontario, Canada. Should also mention there is currently no electricity, however will be looking into solar in the future.

That can be a cold area. I'm surprised they were allowed to build without a heating system. Without any electricity, I would put in a good-sized, vented propane heater for backup. How well insulated is the home? One or two story?

The PE Super is a reliable good performer. It has a great track record. She could also consider the Osburn 2000. Either stove is going to require a good supply of fully seasoned wood. No matter how good the stove is, damp wood = poor performance. They make a pellet basket that can be used in a wood stove. Reports are they work ok for milder weather heating, but a wood stove is designed and optimized to burn wood.

We have a kitchen queen and it will heat our old 1860 era farmhouse just fine. Coaly has the same stove and may be along to comment.
There are two sizes. They are modern cook stoves so you can heat water, bake, and cook on top.
Obadiah makes a slightly improved version as far as I heard a couple of years ago.
Ours weighs right at 1,000 lbs and is a very solid stove.