Such a thing as too much?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Butcher

Minister of Fire
Nov 2, 2011
N. central Ia.
Now that I'm getting this 500 Oslo figured out I'm getting great secondary burns. So much so that the wood seems to almost not be on fire. But with some flames I guess. I'm seeing little or no smoke from the chimney. With the air choked down to around 10% the stack temp likes to stay around 450° and the stove seems to like to run about 550° through most of a burn cycle. Those temps are just what the magnetic thermometers are reading and may not be correct. The stovetop temp will get higher on a third reload.
Anyways to make a long question even longer, am I burnin to much gas and not enough wood?
Its odd for me to see the 24x48 basement thermometer reading almost 90° after 2 1/2 hours. Guess thats why I bought this heat makin machine huh? Really is tooooo hot for me as I aint usedta that but then it aint really cold out and I'm just playin with my new toy.

Certainly sounds like you are doing things right! For less heat, use less fuel. Cheers!

Butcher said:
Its odd for me to see the 24x48 basement thermometer reading almost 90° after 2 1/2 hours. Guess thats why I bought this heat makin machine huh? Really is tooooo hot for me as I aint usedta that but then it aint really cold out and I'm just playin with my new toy.

Best time to practice making heat is now when you don't need it.

Worst thing is to be learning when you're freezing ;-)

Butcher said:
Anyways to make a long question even longer, am I burnin to much gas and not enough wood?

That's how it's posta work, assuming you're getting good secondaries. If you weren't burning those gases they would be going up the chimney and forming creosote. Sounds perfect.

Butcher said:

Sounds like you are burning the perfect amount of gas and wood.

Being your first year with the stove, you'll likely burn more than you will in a year or two. It's part of the process. :coolsmile:
Try a bit less wood, and now is definitely the time to get this figured out. Doing it in January would be frustrating, although you'll still be learning then as well.
Have fun and keep updating.

Butcher,
I'm learning the oslo as well. What kind of burn times are you getting in that cycle? Just curious.

My opinion is that for your minimum burn, figure out the settings that give you the lowest burn with zero smoke out the chimney. When you need more heat, open things up.

Also, don't feel like you shouldn't have flames in the firebox. You got a great looking stove that looks even better with flames! Enjoy the view and limit your heat output with the number of splits vs. damper settings and a full load that would blister you out of the room.

Great stove you got!

Bill

Blue Vomit said:
Butcher,
I'm learning the oslo as well. What kind of burn times are you getting in that cycle? Just curious.
Burn times depend for me. Right now it is really warm here in NE Iowa. I'm still just playin and cookin us out of house and home doing so. I'm new to this type of wood burning so when you say burn times I'm not sure if you mean flames or heat. Depending on the outside temps and wind here and the inside temps of this cinderblock house I can get about 2 and a half hours of flame but almost 10 hours of good hot coals and a good warm stove. When I first installed this stove I was thinkin I could just throw some big ole unsplit chunks in there and let it simmer all night but I have found that in my particular situation that is not the case. I have read quite alott of posts here and taken the knowledge and kinda conformed it to what I have here to work with. I have wundered if maybe I made the wrong choice in a new stove from time to time but I think I did alright. I like the cast iron (I'm into old Harleys and old tractors) and my wife said she sure liked the looks of this stove when we first saw it on the showroom floor. I also had some friends that told me to get the cast iron stove as they really liked theirs. Coarse they wernt here the day I had to get this 455 pound chunk of iron down the stairs into my basement. LOL.

Butcher said:
Blue Vomit said:
Butcher,
Burn times depend for me. Right now it is really warm here in NE Iowa. I'm still just playin and cookin us out of house and home doing so. I'm new to this type of wood burning so when you say burn times I'm not sure if you mean flames or heat. Depending on the outside temps and wind here and the inside temps of this cinderblock house I can get about 2 and a half hours of flame but almost 10 hours of good hot coals and a good warm stove. When I first installed this stove I was thinkin I could just throw some big ole unsplit chunks in there and let it simmer all night but I have found that in my particular situation that is not the case. I have read quite alott of posts here and taken the knowledge and kinda conformed it to what I have here to work with. I have wundered if maybe I made the wrong choice in a new stove from time to time but I think I did alright. I like the cast iron (I'm into old Harleys and old tractors) and my wife said she sure liked the looks of this stove when we first saw it on the showroom floor. I also had some friends that told me to get the cast iron stove as they really liked theirs. Coarse they wernt here the day I had to get this 455 pound chunk of iron down the stairs into my basement. LOL.

If you are new to this type of wood burning like you say, you made a great choice. From what everyone says that stove is bulletproof. Also, if you are getting hot coals after 10 hours, you are doing great.
Good luck

Butcher said:
Blue Vomit said:
Butcher,

Did you offer them free beer . . . that's what worked for me . . . free beer and pizza afterwards . . . I had more help than I even needed to get that stove moved.

And incidentally . . . things sound good -- great actually . . . with good, seasoned wood it is very possible to get little to no visible flames on the wood, but intense secondaries . . . as long as the heat is being made and burn is clean . . . you're good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending content