Stupid questions about the Jotul c450 Blower + Cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

black_sab

May 20, 2015
massachusetts
I've been running the stove now for a couple of weeks without the use of the blower. My wife likes to remind me that it gives off "nothing" as far a heat and is "useless". I just received a new blower and have it ready to go so hopefully that makes a big difference.

I'm glad I noticed the diagram in the manual for regarding the direction of the fan output (inward). I was thinking (or wasn't) I was going to install it facing outward after all i wanted air to blow into the room! duh!

I now see that it actually circulates the air around the box and up through the top.. makes perfect sense now.

My question is... how clean does everything need to be with respect to dust/ash? Is the blower strong enough to push dust up around the box and out the top? I've vacuumed out the bottom as best I could as shown in the pics.

There is a bit of dust/ash sitting at the top of the box that is going to be tough to get to.

Attached are a few pics illustrating the issue...

Attachments

• Stupid questions about the Jotul c450 Blower + Cleaning
    20160109_200914.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 204
    20160109_201015.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 204
    20160109_200928.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 165
    20160109_201019.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 168
Looks pretty good. Glad you figured out the proper direction. That makes a big difference.

Reactions: black_sab
Did your original blower fail? Your wife is right, almost worthless without the blowers.

Reactions: black_sab
Did your original blower fail? Your wife is right, almost worthless without the blowers.

Bought the house with the used insert already installed. The blower was sitting in the basement on a table and when I got around to figuring out how to run it I noticed the squirrel cages in the blower had frozen so I bought a new fasco unit.

The blower when run on high might dislodge some of that junk, if you want to do it before installing the blower you could run a shop vac with the blower turned on to get some of it out.

Air goes around the bottom up the back and out the top.

Good idea... maybe the clips are stuck due the mildly uneven hearth surface (blue granite and mortar).

I'll give that a shot.

The blower when run on high might dislodge some of that junk, if you want to do it before installing the blower you could run a shop vac with the blower turned on to get some of it out.

Yeah - the compressed air can got a lot of dust bunnies out of the motor and chamber and had a bit of a fallout after the motor kicked on with fire up to temp! Vacuumed it up quick like...

YEAH..oops. Just checked this thread... got the single speed motor since is was a 1/3 the price. Loose fit it in there and powered it up for a quick burst and BLAM... tons of crap right in my face. Glad the wife was upstairs in the shower so I didn't have to hear about it!

I'm going to have to figure out how to take the surround off so I can get a flex crevice tool in there and grab everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.