Stuff Roxul inside flashing?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rwhite

Minister of Fire
Nov 8, 2011
North Central Idaho
Now that the stove is installed I can hear the wind blowing outside. Anyone ever stuff roxul inside the upper flashing and support box to deaden the noise?
Stuff Roxul inside flashing?

Last edited:
Against the manufactures recommendation doing that.

If I understand I don't see why you couldn't. As far as I know Roxul won't mold or wick moisture and is used for sound deadening.

Never fill any required clearance space with insulation or other materials.

Ah I guess that makes sense, wasn't thinking about that aspect. We had a poster who was being asked by his insurance co. to insulate behind his wall heat shielding which is a bad idea in my opinion. Guess same would apply here.

Build a chase around the stack and seal it well &/or insulate around it.

Reactions: rwhite
Flashing has the holes around the collar to allow air flow and helps cool the pipe. Definitely shouldn't fill it in. Is your storm collar down far enough to fully umbrella the air slots on the flashing?

Flashing has the holes around the collar to allow air flow and helps cool the pipe. Definitely shouldn't fill it in. Is your storm collar down far enough to fully umbrella the air slots on the flashing?
Storm collar is as far down as it will go. I'll wait and see what happens when we get normal weather. It's been 5 degrees, wind howling and snow drifting for 2 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.