Strong chemical/solvent smell

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ali mcc

Mar 9, 2020
S25 4HF
Hi all, after having a reconditioned little wenlock and a stainless steel chimney liner installed a few days ago we have noticed a very strong chemical/solvent like smell when burning wood in the stove.
I'm certain that the liner isn't leaking as the smell is definitely not wood smoke.
The strangest thing is that the smell is by far strongest in our daughters bedroom which is above the room with the log burner in. I had the fire burning hot today for around 4 hours. The fire has been out for hours now but the smell upstairs is still very strong.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Was the stove repainted? Was any caulking used on the flue outlet or pipe joints?

Was the stove repainted? Was any caulking used on the flue outlet or pipe joints?
Hi, thanks for your reply. I believe the stove was repainted with new fire bricks and a new baffle plate. We did notice a smell and hazy smoke in the living room which I assume was the paint curing. The smell upstairs though seems different entirely. I assume it's coming from the chimney as the rooms it affects most are connected to it. I'm not sure if caulking was used. I'm a little worried as the fire has been out for hours but the smell is as strong as ever in those affected rooms. Our installer said it was an oily residue on the outside of the liner and that it would burn off but it doesn't smell oily it smells more like paint/solvents

Yes, paint will need to bake in and does smoke until the stove temp gets hot. I asked about caulks because some (like silicone) are not appropriated for use on a hot flue or flue liner and can smoke badly.

Do you know if a block-off plate was installed above the stove in the damper area? If not perhaps some smoke is trapped up in the chimney?

Yes, paint will need to bake in and does smoke until the stove temp gets hot. I asked about caulks because some (like silicone) are not appropriated for use on a hot flue or flue liner and can smoke badly.

Do you know if a block-off plate was installed above the stove in the damper area? If not perhaps some smoke is trapped up in the chimney?
Yes there's a galvanised plate sealing the chimney above the stove. Today when I did a long burn there didn't seem to be any smoke upstairs (although there was a haze up there on the first burn) just a really strong smell

Keep a nose on it. It should get better day by day. If not, have the installer come back for a whiff.

If you have a stove thermometer, it should read above 260ºC to ensure the paint gets baked.