Stove Top Temps Regency S2400

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fsappo

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Apr 9, 2008
Central NY
Anyone with a S2400 Regency know where the best place to put the stove top thermometer? My customer claims 450 degrees at the front left corner and 650 at the rear right corner. I suggested the rear right to get the true higher temp. Anyone with more experience?

Center top of the stove just in front of the flue collar above the Step. Your Customer should not let the stove get hotter than 700 for more than a few minutes. However if the customer is seeing temps of 650 at any corner he more than likely had the temps well over 700.

on the top level of the stove? wouldnt the convection air at that point cool the top of the stove down? I was thinking on the lower level, more typical to a stove top.

FrankS. Of I'm using the i/r gun across the lower level of the step top on my s2400 and the readings are + - 200 degrees. diffence Along the back of the lower level step there is a range 200 degress different then within a few inches of the front to sides. i did a start up fire and watched with the i/r gun and the stovetop thermometer .the back of the lower level was reading 619 i moved the pointer aprox 4 inches towards the front and the temp drops to 419ish.. i throttled down the air and the fire about snuffed out. no after burners. i took a reading on other parts and we are not up to 450 yet?..how can a few inches in any one direction be 200 degrees different..?

so i'm not sure where to put this thermometer, By the way the top step is much cooler aprox 300 difference

Pete

Hi Pete! Let's see if some of the tekkies here can get you a more specific answer. Pete here is a customer of mine that bought the S2400. Welcome to the forums buddy

Hi Pete, Welcome to the forum. Place your thermometer where you got the 619 °F reading. It is weird how there is so much difference with just a few inches in any direction but that is the nature of how the regency's run. The rear center of the bottom step is going to be the hottest part because the flue is drawing all the heat to it. The very front and sides are going to be cooler because of the front air wash system and secondary air system. If you look at the top of the door glass you can see the holes for the air wash. Just behind the holes there is a square tube that supplies the air to them which keeps the top front of the stove cooler even though you see the fire from the secondaries flowing to the front. Air to the secondaries is supplied by a square tube on each side, that's what keeps the sides cooler.

Hope this helps,

learnin to burn said:
Center top of the stove just in front of the flue collar above the Step. Your Customer should not let the stove get hotter than 700 for more than a few minutes. However if the customer is seeing temps of 650 at any corner he more than likely had the temps well over 700.

Same here - I keep my thermometer at the "Center top of the stove just in front of the flue collar above the Step" on my Regency F3100.

But why do you say not to let the stove get hotter than 700 for more than a few minutes? I don't make a habit of it, but I can keep it at that level for a little while with no problems.

Woodjack - you have the f series Pete has the S series, In Petes case there is a step with a convection deck on top that the fan blows under. So he needs to take the temp below the step.

The 700 comes directly from the factory. I had the same questions about temp when first go my stove and thats what they told me.

learnin to burn said:
The 700 comes directly from the factory. I had the same questions about temp when first go my stove and thats what they told me.

I called Regency last year questioning about maximum temperatures. They would not give me a specific answer and told me "just don't let the stove turn red".

Thanks for the input guy's .. I use this web site as my bible . i find it very addicting as well. i still need to get around to starting my avatar..I too contacted Regency via e-mail and my responce was to use a probe therometer 6-12" above stove.. A little intersesting fact i stumbled on is kinda interesting.. I did a small 5 split take the chill out fire this morning , I left for the day and come home to ash,, i got out the Harbour Freight i/r gun again and took some readings.. I was surprised that the entire lower step was almost the same temp anywheres along it while cooling.., why would this be? I know that the center back to front is hotter during run time.. but equall during cooling?

Can any conclusion be drawn here?.

Funny how the owners manual has no reference to using a thermometer. Like woodJack says here ,the only reference made about running temps is if it's glowing your running it too hot..

Oh okay..

Thanks again

Pete

woodjack said:
learnin to burn said:

I called Regency last year and questioning about maximum temperatures. They would not give me a specific answer and told me "just don't let the stove turn red".

That's what they told me too but I insisted on an actual temp because not a single dealer in my area or in other areas gave me a consistent answer. Where I bought the stove they told me 600°F , a dealer a mile away said 500 °F , some old timer out West said 300°F , and a lunatic from the South said 900 °F. So I insisted on them giving me a number. They said it was a loaded question but explained that at 750°F the stove top would start to glow but you wouldn't be able to see it because of the paint and you would have to be in a very dark room to tell. I think he then said around 850 °F - 900 °F it would then start to be visible through the paint. At least that's what they told me. A week later I left the stove for a few minutes and when I came back the temp was over 800°F. when I got the stove cooled down the next day I found a nice warp in the center of the top of the stove. I did not see the stove glowing at all even with the lights out. So I guess some of what they said makes sense.

quote - Funny how the owners manual has no reference to using a thermometer. Like woodJack says here ,the only reference made about running temps is if it’s glowing your running it too hot..

Regency's way of sticking it to you when something goes wrong. First thing they say is you over fired the stove. Warranty Void!!!!!!! Already heard it.

Unintentionally, I've had my stove up to 900 several times. No glowing, no warping.
700 is my hi target temp to start cruising. In other words, I'm very comfortable with the stove at that temperature, but not much higher. I'm more concerned about my flue and chimney than my stove when it gets extremely hot.

Hope you guys don't mind a hitchhiker but how about the placement of a temp gauge on the I3100 Regency insert?

Well what i've decided was to just use the stovetop thermometer as a guide.. I'm getting familiar with this stoves operating likes and dislikes.. I'll watch for secondairies and the amount of charring then decided if it's time to throttle her back..I think that way is best anyways.. If the thermometer dies on me i wont be lost..I did this last night..i refused to look at it untill we we're in the aurora borialus stage for awhile (hot coals under the stick and orange afterburners goin)..i then took a peak and she was idiling at 600 . Thermomoter .... we dont need no stinken thermometer

Chop67.. i have no clue on an insert .. There's no good answer for a freestanding either

Status
Not open for further replies.