Stove top temperature

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluehawk

Hearth Supporter
Sep 4, 2009
East TN
Well for some reason my search function is not working, is that just me or with everyone? Anyway I was wondering what stove top temperatures you guys are getting, and what is the best range to burn in. I cant put a thermometer on the pipe because my stove is sitting in front of a prefab fireplace on the hearth. I just got a Lopi Leyden several weeks ago and have been using it quite a bit. So far the only complaint I have is the glass seems to get pretty dirty. I'm burning 2 year old walnut right now with a moisture content of 14% so I dont think its unseasoned (doesnt black up until I put it on the lowest setting for an overnight burn). Anyway, I've read on here about some pretty high temps you guys get yet I havent gotten above 450*(using a Rutland magnetic stove thermometer). Is this a normal range, or could I have another issue as far as draft or is it the walnut doesnt have enough btu's? Thanks

My Endeavor is happiest around 600-650F when "cruising". But it's plate steel. Not sure what's "normal" for the Leyden.

I have one of those oven thermometers standing on my Fisher. At 600 it's rattling the door, the air inlet screws are too hot to touch, and house smells funny. I accidentally hit 800 once and my wife was freaking out that I would burn the house down.
Are the magnetic oven thermometers more accurate?

Bootlegger said:
I have one of those oven thermometers standing on my Fisher. At 600 it's rattling the door, the air inlet screws are too hot to touch, and house smells funny. I accidentally hit 800 once and my wife was freaking out that I would burn the house down.
Are the magnetic oven thermometers more accurate?

couldn't tell you, bought it at a fireplace/ stove store. Figured it was a decent one if they were selling it, may be a piece of garbage! This is the one I have
http://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/28338/258991/Stove-Thermometers/Rutland-Stove-Thermometer.html

Does the Leyden manual offer any insight into what Travis Ind. considers an "overfire" for the stove? My Lopi Endeavor's manual states that generally, 800F+ is overfiring.

my manual states the same, but offers no insight to what the normal range for the Leyden is. The manual pretty much sucks. Sent Travis an email and the reply I got was to get the temp up to 400 before I closed the bypass. They didnt say what the normal range for that stove is. Maybe I'm just not doing something right or have a draft problem?

bluehawk said:
Well for some reason my search function is not working, is that just me or with everyone? Anyway I was wondering what stove top temperatures you guys are getting, and what is the best range to burn in. I cant put a thermometer on the pipe because my stove is sitting in front of a prefab fireplace on the hearth. I just got a Lopi Leyden several weeks ago and have been using it quite a bit. So far the only complaint I have is the glass seems to get pretty dirty. I'm burning 2 year old walnut right now with a moisture content of 14% so I dont think its unseasoned (doesnt black up until I put it on the lowest setting for an overnight burn). Anyway, I've read on here about some pretty high temps you guys get yet I havent gotten above 450*(using a Rutland magnetic stove thermometer). Is this a normal range, or could I have another issue as far as draft or is it the walnut doesnt have enough btu's? Thanks

This is direct from Travis Industries customer support for the Lopi Liberty.

I would suggest putting a stove thermometer on the stove top. That particular unit has a low burn of 200-400 degrees, a medium burn of 400-600 degrees and 600-800 degrees is considered a high burn. A good range to burn at is between 350-550 degrees.

Zap

I had the same thermometer before I got a Condar brand one and donated the Rutland to my grandmother to go on her Liberty. Mine worked just fine as far as I know. It gave the same readings I've been getting from the Condar, so I can only assume they're fairly accurate.

When my stove is in the midst of a strong secondary burn when the wood really begins to give up "the gas," I can't really keep it below 650.

Status
Not open for further replies.