stove to pipe adapter doesn't seem to fit well

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hesta

Mar 21, 2017
Idaho
Are we going to have to trim the crimped part off? Shouldn't the outer black casing fit on top of the stove? stove to pipe adapter doesn't seem to fit well

The crimped part is as far down in the hole as it will go. It's Ventis, and I had help from Harts Hearth ordering the parts.

From what I can tell from the photo, looks ok to me. I have three different stoves, couple of them have adaptors that fit similarly.

Reactions: Hesta
It looks good.The collar appears to be right up to the point where the crimps begin to transition to smooth pipe. Is the pipe bottomed out or does the end of the crimps prevent it from going down farther? Also do you think the smooth pipe diameter would fit into the collar if it wasn't crimped?

Greg

Are we going to have to trim the crimped part off? Shouldn't the outer black casing fit on top of the stove?View attachment 198999

The crimped part is as far down in the hole as it will go. It's Ventis, and I had help from Harts Hearth ordering the parts.

I wouldn't be happy with that aesthetically. I'm not familiar with Ventis so I can't say how it would be from a performance/safety standpoint.

Reactions: Hesta and chance04
My favorite fix is BBQ Black rattlecan. ;)

stove to pipe adapter doesn't seem to fit well

Greg
That wont stick well to that stainless. You need stove paint made to stick to stainless or it wont hold up long.

But i agree with the idea as long as it is a snug fit and it isnt the pipe bottoming out.

Are we going to have to trim the crimped part off? Shouldn't the outer black casing fit on top of the stove?View attachment 198999

Did you try the pipe without the adapter? Many times it actually fits better. Also check to see if the adapter is bottoming out if so trim it down a little so it can drop down a little

It looks good.The collar appears to be right up to the point where the crimps begin to transition to smooth pipe. Is the pipe bottomed out or does the end of the crimps prevent it from going down farther? Also do you think the smooth pipe diameter would fit into the collar if it wasn't crimped?

Greg
The pipe is bottomed out. The only way it will fit flat on the stove is to cut the crimps off.

I gotta agree. It might function properly but that would surely not pass the wife's eye test

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yes, it will probably function okay, but I am the wife, and it is NOT passing my esthetics test.

Did you try the pipe without the adapter? Many times it actually fits better. Also check to see if the adapter is bottoming out if so trim it down a little so it can drop down a little

I'd have to cut off over an inch for it to fit the way I want it to.

That wont stick well to that stainless. You need stove paint made to stick to stainless or it wont hold up long.

But i agree with the idea as long as it is a snug fit and it isnt the pipe bottoming out.

There's a lip inside the opening that the crimp is bottoming out on. No way to remove that lip without a lot of headache.

There's a lip inside the opening that the crimp is bottoming out on. No way to remove that lip without a lot of headache.
No you dont remove tbe lip you trim down the crimped part.

Cut the crimped part off needed to get down to desired height, and recrimp the inner part with hand crimpers. They can be had at HD or similar stores.

Cut the crimped part off needed to get down to desired height, and recrimp the inner part with hand crimpers. They can be had at HD or similar stores.
Many times you dont even have to recrimp it.