Stove to assist a gas furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

motterry

Oct 27, 2014
Mass
I am looking for a free standing stove to vent up an existing fireplace. The house is ~1800sqft with a natural gas furnace. So the need to be a lumberjack to survive the winter is not needed. I have a source for oak & maple to burn and would like something more efficient than watching the heat rise out of my open fireplace.
The main purpose will be supplemental heat and a warm environment on weekends or evenings. If it is large enough and can save some gas - then all the better.
Would you size the stove for the whole house? Or get a smaller one to just add heat to the main living area? Will a small stove warm the living area, or will the heat dissipate up stairs and really just add a few degrees to the overall home temp? Heating the main living area is the goal.
For those owning a small stove is the small (<less than 16" log) a pain to deal with?
Any comments on the current small stove contenders?
Vermont Castings - Aspen.
Hearthstone Tribute (have a source for one close in price to the aspen)

I think that a woodstove is great to back up your gas furnace. Your wood will have to very cheap to make it more economical than gas.
In my opinion go with a stove that can take a bigger log. My stove says it can take 17" logs, but getting one through the door takes more time and more care than it should. I regret not paying enough attention to the door size and firebox size.

I can completely understand the desire to have supplemental heat and not want to be spending lots of time and effort in processing wood . . .

And I understand the idea of having a warm area on the weekends and evenings where you can sit back and relax after being out in the cold all day . . . and of course I understand saving a bit on the gas bill.

That said . . . I personally would try to size the stove for a house . . . if the lay-out is conducive to doing so. What I mean is if you have a traditional ranch, cape, colonial, etc. for a little extra money you should be able to buy a stove that would not only heat up the one room, but could heat the entire home in case of a power outage (i.e. avoiding frozen pipes) . . . or if you decide down the road to rely more on wood heat.

Depending on the lay out of the home you should be able to move a lot of that heat from a larger stove out of the room . . . and then there is always that nugget of wisdom . . . you can always build a smaller fire in a bigger woodstove, but it's hard to build a bigger fire in a small woodstove when it's already filled to capacity.

Moving the heat efficiently can work . . . but a lot depends on the home's layout. For example, in my 1,800 square foot Cape pretty much all of the downstairs is heated as well as the upstairs . . . the two notable exceptions being that the downstairs master bedroom is quite a bit cooler as the heat "current" I have established through the use of a fan curls past this room and goes upstairs and the mudroom/boiler room/bathroom is just a little too far away to get the full effect of the heat.

Reactions: Cockshutt
Welcome. In order to figure out what is a good fit it will depend on the openess of the floorplan, the location of the fireplace in relation to the location of the stairway and ceiling heights. Can you post a simple sketch of the floorplan? Also, what are the fireplace dimensions?

Begreen - Attached is a sketch of the floorplan. The fireplace opening is 28" x 40" with brick surround. Ceilings are a little less than 8'.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.