stove temperature

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

danthe

Feb 2, 2020
e2a 4y7
Hi, I've just installed a new Pacific Energy Summit LE with pedestal and outside air set up. I have two thermometer on the stove, One magnetic installed on the stove top near the flue outlet and another one inside the stove pipe (double wall) at 18 in above stove top. I can run the stove easily in the 500-600 degree on the stove top thermometer but the thermometer inside the stove pipe barely gets to 400. Is this normal or do I have a bad thermometer.

This put out a lot of heat. It replaced a 28 year old Napoleon 1500 which serve us well. I've chosen the Pacific Energy for the EPA 2020 which Napoleon is not yet certified.

Thanks

danthe

It's common with this stove to have a probe reading about 100º lower than the stove top once the air has been closed down. I used to have faith in stove pipe thermometers, but since I added a digital probe thermometer I have found the Condar probe to be dreadfully slow and inaccurate. This morning I stepped away from the stove warming up with the air wide open for just a couple minutes. I heard the alarm go off on the Auber. By the time I got back to the stove it had a raging fire in it with the Auber reading 1200º! The Condar read 450º. ;hm
No problem, the fire settled right down as soon as the air was turned down. I guess our wood is really dry.