Stove recommendations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Simimz3622

Oct 20, 2022
Connecticut
Hi All,

I am starting to look for a wood burning stove, I am not in a rush and am hoping to have one for next winter. I have a 2400sqft house. I am not looking heat the entire house but cut down on the amount of oil we use. We have a fireplace that had a wood stove in it before us, it was taken out before we saw the house. My wife and I like the look of an insert and am hoping to find one that does not require too much extra modifications, we are going to get rid of the white trim/paneling around the fireplace. I have a picture of the current fireplace and the dimensions. Thank you

4026141F-83B8-47DE-A603-1969A2891D0A.jpeg 89AF15C8-500B-4C9D-A4CA-5D4EB393CAD2.jpeg

Last edited:
Get the biggest one you can that will fit is all I can say. You may not need to get rid of the white trim depending on the clearances for the stove. Much less for inserts sit they sit in the fireplace.

Pick a budget. Decided if the tax credit is worth owning a catalytic insert. Decide on modern or classic, flush or one that projects out more.

Start splitting and stacking wood now consider a wood shed. Just some thoughts. Brands to check out. Blaze King, Osborn, Regency, Pacific energy, Kuma there are others. Value brands, true north and Drolet make good units that are less expensive

Can a freestanding stove go halfway into a fireplace?

I have a small wood shed that I will be expanding and currently splitting wood for next year.

I think my budget is around $3000, tax credits aren’t super important and how hard is it to use a cat stove, I have zero experience with wood stoves. Thanks

I have a small wood shed that I will be expanding and currently splitting wood for next year.

I think my budget is around $3000, tax credits aren’t super important and how hard is it to use a cat stove, I have zero experience with wood stoves. Thanks
It’s would need to be able to connect to the liner. So probably need to be rear vented. Mantel clearances are important if putting a stove in. So yes it could.

It’s would need to be able to connect to the liner. So probably need to be rear vented. Mantel clearances are important if putting a stove in. So yes it could.
I have a Jotul 602 in my fireplace with a plate above the stove, 6” pipe to the top of the chimney the space between the brick and the pipe filled with vermiculite, I don’t have a pipe cap as there is a slate chimney cover over the chimney.

Yes, that is the way it works out sometimes, especially with N/S loading box stoves like the Morso 2B, Jotul 602, etc. As long as the hearth requirements, mantel clearances, and venting are ok, this can work out.

Reactions: Ashful
My mantel is just like yours, I top vent it so most of the stove is in the fireplace. It heats the room more slowly but the bricks hold heat for a long time.

Mike