Stove pipe, single or double draft and best brand

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cjgoode

Aug 30, 2016
Sylva Nc
I have an Osburn 2200 which will have a fresh air vent to it. I am using the duraplus through wall kit. The through wall pipe will be 3 feet to the junction box then up 9 feet all with the insulated triple wall duraplus SS pipe.

I plan to install the through wall pipe about 6 feet above the stove. So I need to go up 6 feet with the stove pipe, 90 degrees and 18 inches to the wall. With the 90 degree pipe the horizontal pipe will be about 12 inches.

Should I use single or double wall, sound like double wall will reduce the heat in the house but improve the draft. I am more worried about the draft then the loss of heat. But if the experts think the single wall will be fine, it would save me some money.

Also should I seal the pipe and what should I seal it with. I would feel a lot more comfortable with a sealed pipe or is that just crazy to worry about.

So looking for some advice.

I usually recommend the single wall pipe, the added radiant heat is what a lot of people are looking for, as long as clearance to combustibles is not an issue. Not sure on how much the double wall pipe will increase the draft in your 6'-7' stove pipe layout. I would recommend using a Telescoping section if possible, it makes installation a lot easier, and I'd stay away from the "snap together" style of pipe...IMO.

Reactions: cjgoode
I opted for double wall pipe from ICC Excel for the following reasons . . .

* Reduced clearance . . . not that I needed it, but I like the idea that it reduces the clearance
* Longer life vs. single wall pipe . . . it's not as if single wall pipe will rot out in a year, but double wall pipe will however last much longer
* Better drafting . . . which was a concern of mine as I have an outside chimney and two 90 degree elbows

My own feeling is that I generate the bulk of heat for my home in the woodstove, not the exhaust, and so the benefits and extra cost of double wall made it worth it to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.