Stove pipe damper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kieth4548

Hearth Supporter
Dec 28, 2007
Sardinia, OH
I have an engender 3500 wood stove It has a damper above the door and a damper on the ash pan door. I only use the damper above the door once my fire gets going. My question is should I look at installing a stove pipe damper also. My father in law says you can prevent a lot of heat from escaping up the chimney with one.

Thanks
Kieth

My philosophy has always been to heat with my stove, not my flue . . . hence the reason for the double wall pipe. I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of heat up the chimney in exchange for a cleaner flue.

Couple that with most modern woodstoves are designed to run without a flue damper . . . about the only folks that seem to really need them are with especially long chimneys and strong drafts.

That said, I find myself thinking about flue dampers maybe two or three times a year when I have an especially hot fire and want to dial things back a bit more . . .

Is there evidence of too strong draft? What do the flue temps currently measure?

your father in law is probably used to running and older non epa stove