stove pipe choice?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

rnman

Hearth Supporter
Oct 27, 2009
north georgia
good morning everyone (0812 in north georgia). joined this forum because renewable energy makes sense and a wood burning stove seems to fit right in. besides, the wife and i enjoy a good fire outside, so why not inside too; just don't want the house included in it :). purchased my first stove, a Drolet - Savannah, over the weekend. haven't purchased the metal chimney or stove pipe yet but have been doing research on pipe variations, quality, and manufactured home installation. have looked most seriously at Dura-vent and Selkirk products. as a diy'r safety is my #1 concern but getting the product that does the job at a reasonable value is also worth looking into. Believe HT2100 venting/chimney is what's needed and also that stainless products may be worth the investment. currently am leaning strong towards double wall construction regardless (of stainless or other). are the thoughts here correct? the "Savannah" (www.drolet.ca) looks good in all the advertising and is mobile home approved with an efficiency rating of 75 - 85% at 44 - 55,000 btu/hr. but, is Drolet known in these circles as a good stove/company? any input from those who are experienced about the stove, venting, or installing stoves into mobile homes is appreciated!

Selkirk makes a quality product, so you can't go wrong with them. Double wall stove pipe is more expensive than single wall, but it gets you two things: 1.) much closer clearance to combustibles, and 2.) a much longer product lifespan, as it has a stainless steel interior like the 2100HT Class A.

Are you running the Class A straight up through the roof, or are you going out and up with it?

I've used both Simpson double wall in the past, and I'm using the Selkirk double wall now for a current project. Both make excellent products and I wouldn't be a bit afraid to recommend either. Given a choice I like the Selkirk a little better, but this is splitting hairs. I think you're making the right choice with going double wall. It's safer and will last a lot longer.

Welcome to the forum. I installed a new stove last year and went with the Simpson Duratech product line. Used double-walled stove pipe for the reasons that Pagey mentioned. Purchased everything online from www.ventingpipe.com. Prices were very good and the shipping was free. The chimney pipe is required to be class A, double-walled pipe. You only have the choice with the stove pipe (pipe that runs from the stove to whatever type of pass-though you're using - in your case will be a ceiling support box if you going straight up). Simpson Duratech has some excellent instructions posted on their webpage.

thanks. looks like chimney will actually be the dura-plus from Dura-vent; it has triple wall with 2" combustible clearances. dura vent suggest min 24" box for mobile home, so that is likely. is it correct to use the same pipe from the stove to the ceiling box for drought - or should i use other? not having had a stove, am not sure how much of the heating comes from the pipe vs the stove itself. will wait till later today to order components for other possible postings and appreciate the input from all.

Going up through the roof, your setup will be like this: stove, single or double wall stove pipe (the black pipe), a ceiling support box which includes a transition piece to mate the stove pipe to the class a stainless, however much class A stainless double wall you need, an attic radiation shield/firestop, roof flashing, storm collar, rain cap.

Go here and pick the Ceiling Support Installation for a guided walk through in Flash.

http://www.selkirkcorp.com/flashGuide/english/supervent/supervent.swf

Welcome, rnman. I'm your neighbor in north Bama. Stove pipe/Black pipe (either single or double wall) goes from stove to junction box (ceiling support box), then Class A Chimney all the way to rain cap. Do you have a horizontal ceiling with some attic? Or a cathedral ceiling with ~4-6 inches to roof decking?

Welcome, rnman. I’m your neighbor in north Bama. Stove pipe/Black pipe (either single or double wall) goes from stove to junction box (ceiling support box), then Class A Chimney all the way to rain cap. Do you have a horizontal ceiling with some attic? Or a cathedral ceiling with ~4-6 inches to roof decking?

hey Dougand3. I'm in ringgold. have cathedral ceiling but is on about a 4/12 or less pitch with the ~4-6" to roof decking.

rnman said:
Welcome, rnman. I’m your neighbor in north Bama. Stove pipe/Black pipe (either single or double wall) goes from stove to junction box (ceiling support box), then Class A Chimney all the way to rain cap. Do you have a horizontal ceiling with some attic? Or a cathedral ceiling with ~4-6 inches to roof decking?

hey Dougand3. I'm in ringgold. have cathedral ceiling but is on about a 4/12 or less pitch with the ~4-6" to roof decking.

I see. Better click on "Cathedral Ceiling Installation" on the above link I put up, then. LOL. :lol:

rnman said:
great recommendation Pagey. am going through it now.

It's a pretty handy guide for getting an idea of what it takes to set up your flue system. Of course I'm sure it's no substitute for actually having done an install, but I think it's a great place to start to at least familiarize yourself with the process.

You'll get more heat out of single wall stove pipe, but I chose double wall for (1) safety reasons, (2) lifetime of product (if you use single wall you will probably have to replace after a number of years - depends on how much you burn), and (3) was supposed to draft better (due to insulation). Only downside is cost.

From what I read above, this is a mobile home install - I would go for the double wall to maximise draft. You won't have a really tall chimney - likely just at the min recommended lengths, so do what ever you can to ensure it functions well. That would include minimising elbows and bends. Going straight up is definately a good plan. Look into outdoor air kits (OAK) as well - likely local authorities or the stove manufacture will require them in a mobile home install, as well as bolting the stove to the floor, which is often included for mobile home situations.

timfromohio and oconner, thanks for the additional input. will use at least double wall after today's feedback and research - if not triple all the way. The flu will be straight and at slightly above the minimum height which will be approximately 5 ft above the exit to the roof (3 ft plus and additional 2 ft to cover the pitch on the roof ten ft away horizontally). am counting in the additional heat contained in the flu for adequate heat to minimize formation of creosote and maximize safety drought and stove efficiency. Is this thinking correct? Hadn't thought about the bolts, but will use the idea as it make perfect sense. Thanks again to all. will update the progress and continue to monitor for other ideas and information until installation is complete.

rnman - I just cleaned my chimneys for the first time last week (not every - they have been cleaned before, just not by me !) and was very surprised at how little dust/deposits came out, particularly of the chimney that has the double wall Duravent (like somebody else said - not a plug for Duravent - I'm sure any double wall material would have behaved the same way) so I have to conclude that your statement about minimizing creosote formation is absolutely correct. We burned pretty much full time from November through March, maybe a little into April and I had a few cups (probably less than a quart full) of farly fine-grained black sooty deposit which seemed to have been located right at the top of the chimney section - it was not shiny or sticky, more sooty so I don't think it was creosote.

I'm sure you'll be very happy going with the double wall and will not regret the cost differential between the single wall stove pipe and the double wall stove pipe.

Make sure to post pics of your install once completed!!! Also, the guys on this forum are great at helping to coach you through the installation process. I was only able to construct the hearth and install the stove properly b/c of all of the great advice I got from them.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice. Its the Drolet Savannah with Simpson Duravent stove pipe and Duraplus HT Chimney. Is warm and safe thanks in part to ya'll (as we say in the south lol :) ). Have several other pics of installation, but this is essentially the finished project.

Merry Christmas all,

Robert
Ringgold, Georgia

PS im the guy without the hat, jerry - my buddy - has the hat, and my son and best friend and i sitting by one of the many fires we have here at the house.

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] stove pipe choice?
    P1030906A.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 517
    P1030903A.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 485
    P1030897A.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 491
    P1030872A.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 469
    P1030882A.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 499
    P1030820A.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 499
Looks like y'all did a right fine job there old son. Enjoy that heater.

Good looking install! Thanks for posting pics. Enjoy that stove and have a Merry Christmas.

Status
Not open for further replies.