Stove pipe and damper replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

adangelo

Aug 5, 2023
Canada
Hi folks, looking for some advice here. My wood stove damper kicked the bucket and the stove pipe coming out of the stove isn't telescopic so I will have to cut it out. It's 36 inches from the stove to the 6 to 7 inch adapter where the pipe continues as a double wall insulated pipe though the house and roof. I was thinking of putting the in pipe double walled damper right at the top section and then a telescopic pipe from the damper to the stove. The damper will be right under the adaptor about 36 inches up. Any issues with this either the height of the damper or being so close to the adaptor? The other option is to fit two pipes on either side of the damper in the middle but I'm having a hard time finding a small enough telescopic pipe. Thanks in advance for any helpful thoughts and advice!

Stove pipe and damper replacement

I have my damper directly on top of the stove at the stove outlet, so there is another option for you.

I was thinking that too but read the damper can get too hot there and also issues with draft being so close, does it work well with your set up?

I think most folks have it a foot or so above the stove. Some insert installs have it right at the connection between stove and flue.

If you don't have a baffle in your stove, I'd put it higher indeed.

I would have put it higher, but that means more connection points. The Selkirk DSP stove pipe I am using seems to have loose, leaky joints so I want as few connection points as possible.

With other installations, I have had the damper about a foot above the stove top.

My draft was way too high, so putting the damper low did not negatively affect my draft. It was a positive change by reducing it. If you don't have a strong draft already, maybe that is a consideration for you.

Mine does not get too hot. What is too hot, really? I can turn the handle without a glove so I would call that "not too hot". I keep my flue temperature under 700 degrees and most of the time the hottest the flue gases get is 650 during the hottest part of the burn.

My stove (PE Summit LE) has a blower that blows across the stove top, and really it is blowing directly at the short damper section so that is probably helping to keep the temperature down as well.