Stove Grate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

wkpoor

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 30, 2008
Amanda, OH
Friend of mine has one of my old stoves (no not the Nashua hehe) and he hates it doesn't have a grate. He claims all the stoves he has ever been around had grates and the new stove don't have them just to save money. I told him I've never seen a wood stove with a grate. So here we are on opposite sides of an issue. My theory is if grates were a good thing stoves would have them instead of his theory they just leave them out to save money. So what is the real scoop on the grate thing?

Grate has no business in a wood stove, don't think I've ever seen it.(coal stoves use them I think??) Why does he want one?

It's amazing to hear the theories people come up with. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Remember when we were boy scouts and hiking the Andes.............who brought a grate for the campfire??

My neighbor has a Harman coal stove, but used to have a VC woodstove - the VC had a shaker grate, and my neighbor could not believe that my Mansfield had no grate. I told him that I knew of no modern stoves with shakers - I don't know if he believed me. Seems like it would be nice to be able to slide the bottom grate back and forth to let the ash fall in the pan - what would be the con of this (as long as you leave enough ash). Cheers!

rdust said:
Grate has no business in a wood stove, don't think I've ever seen it.(coal stoves use them I think??) Why does he want one?
He doesn't like that ash and coals are mixed together and thinks they ought to be separated before he removes ash.

Holy crap, your still his friend? Tell him ash insulates the coals and thru fragglation causes internal gigwamming which keeps the coals hotter longer. GO JETS

Tell him you agree. And walk away shaking your head.

We have four wood stoves in the house and they range in age from mid-70s to two months ago. They all have grates. The fire is built on top of the grates, which are set into the base of the firebox, and the ash falls through the grate into an ash pan. We had one other stove, and it had a grate, too. In all our stoves, the grates are not after-market add-ons, the bottom of the firebox is designed to have a cast grate set into it. The newest stove, an Aga, has a rather fancy grate with a bar on the side of the front of the stove which moves the 13 individual pieces of the grates separately from one another.

So, yes, some stoves are designed for and built with grates. I can see that, such as in the case of a "morning stove" for example, stoves are not built or planned for grates. No ash pans, etc., just build the fire on the bottom of the firebox and on top of the ashes already there. If one were to add a grate to a stove like that, such as a fireplace-type grate, then, no, the efficiency and burn time of the wood used would be diminished.

My newer pe insert has no grate and the manual specifically says not to use a grate. I never really see a need for adding a raised grate. Adding a raised grate to a woodstove would make it difficult to load the firebox I think.
Don't the newer stoves with ash pans have grates that are integral to the stove? Is that the kind of grate he is talking about? Or possibly the shaker grates that some older stoves have? Or is he talking about adding a raised grate that you would use in a fireplace?

Franks said:
Just tell him some stove use grates and some don't and then stop being his friend.

Great answer!

I think he is referring to stoves with grates that empty into an ash pan below firebox.

Status
Not open for further replies.