Stove clearance under lintel issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

luken8r

Hearth Supporter
Feb 3, 2009
MA
Hi all
My old coal stove has bit the dust and I am looking to replace it inside of my hearth. I have found a used Harman legacy that is in real great shape, but there looks to be some clearance issues with the pipe out the back. The hearth my stove currently sits has a top clearance of 28", but this stove has a center of 26.5" resulting in the top of the pipe being 29.5" off the ground, so it wont clear the top of the firebox. The current stove is a bit shorter so the top of the pipe fits under the bricks by a few inches.

My question is: Can you use some sort of round to rectangle back to round adapter to fit under the lip of the firebox to get back to my 6" liner? basically squish out the top of the pipe to get it to clear?

TIA

That's not a good plan. Smoke and fumes don't want a restriction, especially in a horizontal run. Ideally the flue should rise 1/4" per foot toward the liner. Do they make a short leg kit for the stove?

Thanks for the reply, that is sort of what I was thinking. I am pretty sure the legs are cast and not removable.

This is the guy I'm looking at

https://legacystoves.com/product/mark-ii/

The instructions do not say anything about leg installation and the parts list shows the legs as cast :/
I could conceivably grind the legs down, but I would have to go about 2" on each.