Storing Wood Indoors

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jacub

Sep 30, 2019
Canada
Hi All,

I'll be getting my first load of wood next week. I do have a sunroom within 10 feet or so from the freestanding stove. There is a space to place 1-2 face cord of wood. The rest of the sunroom is presently used by my mother as a greenhouse for her plants over the winter. The room is made out of rather impenetrable materials polished natural stone and glass.

Does anyone store some of their wood indoors? Am I going to run into insets eating up my mom's plants or getting into the rest of the house? Thanks!

It is a disputable matter with plenty of opinion. I personally only bring cord wood in from outdoors in quantity after the outside temp is below freezing and has been for a couple weeks. OTOH once it is well and truly frozen, I bring in about one face cord at a time so I can go get fuel for the stove out of the attached garage nekkid first thing in thee morning.

Reactions: moresnow
I do pretty much the same a half face cord or a wheel barrow in the garage no more than that.

Reactions: AlbergSteve
The inside of your house is far too dry for the few bugs on your wood.
Any in the wood are usually fairly content to stay put.
The spiders in your house may enjoy the change of scenery.

A lot of unseasoned wood might be a mold and mildew problem .

I bring three cords into the garage in August that has been outdoors, stacked and uncovered for several years. We also have a cart inside that holds several 100lbs for current use. Here in wisconsin - with dry cordwood, haven't had problems here with bugs that I'm aware of. I would hesitate bringing freshly cut or split wood in though. When splitting, there are always little critters a movin, ants, grubs, worms, etc - I would want it all good and dry before moving it in. Once dry, they seem to dry up with it or leave, one of the two. You're in Canada, a colder climate. Where has the wood been stored previous. If its dry, then I wouldn't hesitate. If it were recently split and left in a pile - hmm.

Well seasoned wood seems not to bring in a significant amount of insects at my place. Sure is nice having it indoors. Going out in negative degree weather is noooo good for me!

Yes - definitely get it fully dry before bringing inside. And when you do bring it inside, you can leave the mess outside as you unstack it into your wheelbarrow or whatever.

Just re-read the OP - I would be kind of leery bringing wood in that is just arriving onsite from a vendor. Chances are, it isn't dry. And you don't know its recent history.

Sure is nice having it indoors.
It is. I have two spots for current use. 3 cord in the attached garage. Easy inside work when it's cold dark and blowing outside. Also 3 cord just outside the garage under a slant roof shelter. Both are a quick wheelbarrow to the back entrance to the house door. When the snow gets too deep, or temps too low, time to switch to indoor garage stores. All oak inside for sub zero more heat, a mix of hard and softer outside for milder temps and less heat. Our cat spends the nights in the garage. Saw her this morning patrolling the place - frosty nights means mice to "play" with.

cold dark and blowing outside

Grrrrrrrr. 3 of my least favorite things
_g
Believe I'll bring up 2 more loads to the house this morning. Rain and snow starting here tonight. Possibly heading your way.

I have an external bulkhead that I added a doghouse to it with a standard size door. The steps come out and I fill it up with wood every few weeks in the winter so all I need to do is open the interior door and I have access to wood. The boiler is in the basement so the mess stays down there. If the wood is dry but got damp from rain or snow I just leave the interior door open when I am running the boiler and the stack dries out quick.

I have an external bulkhead that I added a doghouse to it with a standard size door. The steps come out and I fill it up with wood every few weeks in the winter so all I need to do is open the interior door and I have access to wood. The boiler is in the basement so the mess stays down there. If the wood is dry but got damp from rain or snow I just leave the interior door open when I am running the boiler and the stack dries out quick.
I think that type setup was used a lot years ago. Since the days of forced air heat, outside "cellarways" seem to have become obsolete. But with old passive wood heat furnaces in the basement, with chains leading up to the main floor to regulate the air damper, a cellar way filled with wood, and a wood shed outside near by would have been more common.

Thanks guys, this has been very helpful. I'll store 1 cord inside, 2 in the garage and 2 outside against the brick wall. Will have relatively easy access.