Stockings hung by the fireplace...to burn!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rob711

Feeling the Heat
Oct 19, 2017
Long Island, ny
Stockings hung by the fireplace...to burn!!Stockings hung by the fireplace...to burn!!

This is a bad idea correct? How hot can cheap fabric get? We did this for a possible Christmas card pic. It’s down now.

Haha. In the beginning I used a cheap cotton oven mitt when raking coals and adding wood and it caught on fire while I was wearing it. It happens fast too.

Yup, clearances to combustibles includes temporary items like stockings.

I wouldn't use MAPP gas to light a stove either. screw on a propane bottle and use that instead.

I'm curious why not? Modern MAPP is not like the stuff made years ago. The MAPP gas of today barely burns any hotter than propane. Propane would be cheaper though.

99% of the situations would probably be fine but if it was me I wouldn't use it inside. A. I wouldn't use MAPP in the house and B. Wouldn't store it near a stove. My torch only comes out for when I run out of supercedars, and then it is still kept in the garage. My wife is getting sick of not being able to hang the stockings up though because of the fire though so I feel you there!

Clearly I’m in good company. That torch is just about empty I have a propane bottle waiting to go on it, good point should probably keep it somewhere else! Really I only had to but fire to the stove 3 times since I got it in October.
After picture was taken I took them down, wife and kids asked to keep them up. I had to explain it would be a sad holiday season if we all burn and die!

Reactions: Ludlow
Sometimes things jump off their hooks -- I'd also be afraid that a stocking would fall and come to rest against the glass. Makes a nasty melted plastic lump on the glass that is hard to remove.

I read that wool is pretty fire resistant, if not technically non-combustible. I wonder if wool stockings, hung higher and fastened very securely, wouldn't be a good and fairly safe compromise.

Also: children are dumb as rocks (well, I was anyway). Please put the torch where they can't reach it.

It's only a bad idea if you don't want flaming stockings hanging from the mantle and dropping to that nice purdy wood floor.

Hanging stockings over an open fireplace was a lot safer. I dont remember the song mentioning stockings hung over a woodstove.