Still without new fireplace!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rtros956

Oct 26, 2018
Thornhurst, PA
Well, it has been a challenge getting contractors to quote (show up) on replacing our fireplace. We've given up on trying to get a Pacific Energy FP30. No local dealers. I was going to purchase and have it installed but still no one wanted to touch it. We are now looking at the HeatNGlo Northstar and Quadrafire Pioneer 2 models. Both built by the same manufacturer. Northstar seems to have more information on this forum. I like the Pioneer 2 single door for viewing area. Otherwise not much difference. Anything with those units I should be concerned with?

Do you have any RSF dealers in your area?

What is your existing configuration? Pics?
Could be easy, could be very difficult to the point nobody wants the job.

I’m doing the demo and framing. Just need them to install the fireplace, Outside air makeup and chimney. I have a mason that I use for the facade.

Attachments

• 3E9E8447-D00E-445F-A93A-83E1C8E59994.jpeg
    3E9E8447-D00E-445F-A93A-83E1C8E59994.jpeg
    161.4 KB · Views: 461
Last edited:
If your doing all the hard work why not do the install as well?

I get mixed responses from manufacturers about warranty support. They also want to charge me list price. If I do the install and buy direct, I should get at least dealer pricing. They want to make the profit without me getting any benefit.

Look into the Flame Monaco and Osburn Stratford if considering buying direct.

We looked at the Opel. We were told only catalytic available in the US. Prefer non-cat models.
Yes. It's non-cat in Canada, but you will be running into stricter emissions requirements in the US, thus the cat.

Look into the Flame Monaco and Osburn Stratford if considering buying direct.
SBI out of Canada.. we looked at their Ventis HE350. I wasn’t fond of the heat distribution setup. I don’t have 25 feet minimums for the duct and blower setup. Thanks for your ideas. Helps me keep researching..

I wasn’t fond of the heat distribution setup. I don’t have 25 feet minimums for the duct and blower setup.
Not following. Why would there be a minimum? Normally the only issue is the maximum, which for the Stratford is 50'.

I’m doing the demo and framing. Just need them to install the fireplace, Outside air makeup and chimney. I have a mason that I use for the facade.

Good placement. Nice room.

Odd, take a look at the Osburn Stratford manual.

I'd call them up to find out why the 25ft. min.. It may be an error in translation or something.

Well, it has been a challenge...given up on trying to get a Pacific Energy FP30...We are now looking at the HeatNGlo Northstar and Quadrafire Pioneer 2 models...I like the Pioneer 2 single door for viewing area...

We installed a Northstar at our previous home and just recently a FP30. I do preference the FP 30 more but that may be because we learned things from our first install to improve or prevent with the second.

Both were pricey...

I, like you, preference the single door of the FP 30. The Northstar seemed to have more cold air leak around the unit when not running and seemed to cool off quicker. As a result we insulated and air sealed the FP30, as much as the installer/manufacturer would allow, and it seemed to make difference.

Northstar review :https://hearth.com/talk/threads/heat-and-glo-northstar-review-with-pictures.146175/#post-1971019

FP 30 Arch install :https://hearth.com/talk/threads/pacific-energy-fp30-install.170842/

Did you check with these?
upload_2019-5-9_22-21-50.png

Maybe see if one of the closer dealers would consider getting the FP 30 for you? They all install quite similarly...it never hurts to ask. Being that it is a decent expense I hate to see you regret not getting the FP30 you originally wanted.

Thank you Drewman, I appreciate the details you provided. We are leaning towards the Quadrafire Pioneer 2 but don’t have a warm and fuzzy about the installer. It really should not be this difficult to get what you want in NE Pennsylvania. We have been researching this for about a year. Major expense for something that impacts our energy costs long term.

Pioneer II looks quite similar to the FP30 Arch with Craftsman surround. Specs are equally similar from what I could see. The only thing I recall, and you probably have noticed this, is that QuadraFire will offer discounts throughout the year, as did Pacific Energy. When we purchased both the Northstar and FP30 we purchased when the $400 promo discount was going on.

Something to think about, I believe it's typically late summer/early fall.

My preference is the FP30. That said, We have to settle on the Pioneer 2. All your advice is invaluable as we move forward. Thank you for taking the time to give us input. We’ve scheduled the preview inspection ( contractor comes to look at the site) $100. Standard for NE Pa. I’ll let you know how we make out.

My preference is the FP30. That said, We have to settle on the Pioneer 2. All your advice is invaluable as we move forward. Thank you for taking the time to give us input. We’ve scheduled the preview inspection ( contractor comes to look at the site) $100. Standard for NE Pa. I’ll let you know how we make out.
Please keep us posted! The folks hear like a good install story and pictures are great! Goodluck, hopefully it goes smoothly and under budget!

Well, started the demo. I opened the wall on the second floor to the chimney chase. Poorly insulated, no fire stop between floors, old stack touching one of the insulated hvac ducts.. pictures to follow.. glad I have 2 weeks before the install. A lot of corrective work to do. Would have sent the budget through the roof.

Reactions: bholler and begreen