Still having trouble with Napoleon NPS45 pellet stove igniter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Peter52

Jan 5, 2016
Nobleboro, ME
I have installed 3 igniters in the last month into a Napoleon NPS 45 pellet stove and they keep blowing. After installing, the igniter glows red and the stove starts up and runs normally. The auger drops pellets and the fans operate normally. After about 20 minutes I shut the stove off and let it cool down for an hour or so. After an hour I restart the stove and the igniter glows red, pellets drop, and the fans come on normally BUT about 15 minutes in I hear a pop and the igniter is again blown. I mean really blown with obvious discoloring and small holes in the igniter housing. The igniter always seems to blow on the second start up. Sometimes the fuse on the control panel is blown but today the circuit breaker was tripped but the control panel fuse was fine. I admit that I am not using OEM Napoleon igniters. Instead I am using ones that I got for $49 each online and these same igniters have worked fine in the past and get solid reviews. I have searched all over the wiring harness to see if there is a loose or bare wire somewhere that is causing the igniters to keep shorting out but I cannot see anything wrong. Amazingly, the control panel itself has not blown and I can still start the stove manually and everything works fine. Any ideas on what might be happening? Guess my best bet is to keep starting the stove manually as it is getting pretty expensive.

well if 3 at $50 what is the OEM cost? some of the igniters that come from across the pond are not to manufacturers specs so its a crap shoot if you get a good one or not. you are lucky the control board hasn't fried they don't do well with power shorts/ blown fuses