Stihl MS-260 wouldn't start after running out of gas

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
My Stihl MS -260 stared up as it should , ran great etc.. until it ran out of gas.. filled it up and would not start ..how should I have started it ? :confused:

I have the best luck with starting it at idle. Definitely no throttle and no choke when its warm.

Reactions: Sean McGillicuddy
Shake around the saw, if you have a primer bulb do a few presses, try without throttle, and if you're getting nothing try with some throttle. My new MS261CM has no primer bulb and sometimes it takes a lot of pulls to start if I completely run out of gas.

Pull the throttle set chock release throttle set chock to fast idle
4 or 5 pulls and she should fire. At least that's how I start mine
That's with a warm saw

If I run any saw long enough, it has the potential for vapor lock. This is especially true in warmer weather.

Solution: Crack open the fuel cap immediately after turning off the saw. This relieves any low pressure condition in the fuel tank.