Stihl 028 Super

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mecreature

Minister of Fire
Dec 16, 2010
indiana
how can I tell how old a use 028 Super age is?
The owner says it has a chain brake and the older ones didn't.
He says he will get me the Serial number and I can find out with that.
Where can I get this info. I have looked thru the manual

seems this say could be as much as 25 yrs old.

I'vebeen unsuccessful in finding a way to get an age on stihls. Maybe a dealer can do it. He's right about the older 028s not having a chain brake.

How much does he want? This is a nice saw if the condition and price are right.

Danno77 said:
I'vebeen unsuccessful in finding a way to get an age on stihls. Maybe a dealer can do it. He's right about the older 028s not having a chain brake.

How much does he want? This is a nice saw if the condition and price are right.

Everything looks great. its close to home so I will get an up and close look.
New bar and chain and the case is still in good shape. 250 bucks is what he is asking.
Says I can start it up and cut some woof for him if I want. LOL

I talked to the local dealer and he said you wont find out what year it was made.
I think I believe him. He is a straight up guy from my previous conversations.

probably too much money but it sure looks nice. From what I have seen it will go at that price.

For 250 it had better be in tip-top shape with extra chains and a nice bar.

I'm not saying I wouldn't pay that, but I'd probably be hesitant to do it. In 10 years you won't remember anyway.

150 gets you an OK 028, 175 gets you a nice one. Add a few bucks because it's a Super. Maybe offer 200. If he wants 250 he prob won't go under 225, but that's still better than 250.

Have you checked eBay recently to see if they have had any sell there, my numbers may be off? I haven't looked for 6-9 months...

In 10 years you won’t remember anyway. That is what I was thinking.
I'm in no hurry. I have looked at some god awful saws for close to the same money.

028 S is kind of retro.. makes it kind of cool too. mixed bag I guess.

and thanks for the comments.

OK, according to the spec. sheet I have in my computer the 028 super was built 1983 to 1990, serial # should start with 1118 & 47 cc @ 11.7 lbs. dry weight, & tune @ 12,500 RPM. Actually I would guess the super may be a few more cubes, but the info I have on some isn't 100% complete. I hope this helps a little. A C

I thought they were 50ccs, don't remember where I read that. Acres internet doesn't have the specs for it.

028 are very good saws.....super even better.

thanks guys,
stihl manuals online are great. starting my own collection of them.

wonder if I would be better off going with a 290. I have seen them used go for the same price.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-08-17 at 9.20.08 AM.png
    Screen shot 2011-08-17 at 9.20.08 AM.png
    72.8 KB · Views: 3,355
mecreature said:
thanks guys,

wonder if I would be better off going with a 290. I have seen them used go for the same price.

My Vote 028 if its nice! ;-)

smokinjay said:
mecreature said:
thanks guys,

must have been nice.. it took all of 2 hours for him to sell it.

guess that teaches me... one hand take my boy to soccer and make him do his math.... or go shopping for a chainsaw..

I need to start shooting from the hip I guess.

Nothing Stihl that's priced reasonably will last more than a few hours on CL. Says plenty about those machines I guess.... ;-)

What would be a reasonable price for a near new, perfect running MS 260?

mecreature said:
smokinjay said:
mecreature said:
thanks guys,

must have been nice.. it took all of 2 hours for him to sell it.

guess that teaches me... one hand take my boy to soccer and make him do his math.... or go shopping for a chainsaw..

I need to start shooting from the hip I guess.

028 is one of those saw's that are like a 036 best time to buy is when you see it! :cheese: There is more but those two are great firewood saws.

HittinSteel said:

Last brand new one @ the dealer is at $499.00 so maybe $ 300.00 if it's real minty?

amateur cutter said:
HittinSteel said:

Last brand new one @ the dealer is at $499.00 so maybe $ 300.00 if it's real minty?

I would take a nice 036, 028 over the 260..... ;-)

Too late now, I guess, but I believe the final two years of production for the 028 had the side chain tensioner. Only way I know to date them at all.

WNCburner said:
Too late now, I guess, but I believe the final two years of production for the 028 had the side chain tensioner. Only way I know to date them at all.

Hey, good info for the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.