Step top vs flat top ? some info please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd 2

Feeling the Heat
Sep 17, 2012
NE Ohio
Thinking about a Lopi Endeavor (step top) or the PE Super 27 (flat top) for an upstairs install. Tight wall install a must for needed space. These 2 stoves seem almost the same as in size, btu's, clearances, blowers... and I like them both and maby I can get an end of the season deal on one here really soon.
So what pros and cons are there to the tops (other than a bypass damper and looks)

Thanks, Todd2

Other than the obvious difference of looks, I do believe a step top adds some strength to the top plate. A flat top would be easier to cook on though. In this case, I'm guessing the step was to accommodate the bypass primarily?

I tend to have a personal preference for the lopi but that's just based on me being me.

pen

Reactions: Todd 2
On the Endeavor, the step top does add convection heat to the room. The heat shields suck in air at the floor and it heats and rises to come out just be,ow the top of the step. You can feel it move the air, although the fan would do much better.

When the step is used for cooking the bottom step is hot and the upper one is used to warm the food.

Don't know if that helps you much, but I do love my Endeavor.

I'm guessing the step was to accommodate the bypass primarily?
That's exactly right. The Endeavor has the same firebox that the Travis 1750 has. The 1750 is a flat top with no bypass.
I like Lopi as well, the Endeavor is a great heater, very solid stove!

They are both very good stoves and good heaters. The main difference is in the baffling system, air control and firebrick. The Lopi has an air bypass that makes for less smokey reloads when the chimney height is a bit on the short side. The step top gives you two temperature zones on the stove which can be nice for cooking. Lopi builds very stout stoves that will last a generation. The PE Super 27 has a unique coupled air control that regulates both the primary and secondary air. This combined with a more insulated firebox allows the stove to have some exceptional burn times. It also has a unique stainless box baffle, secondary supply that makes flue cleaning a breeze. Whichever you choose you won't go wrong.

They are both very good stoves and good heaters. The main difference is in the baffling system, air control and firebrick. The Lopi has an air bypass that makes for less smokey reloads when the chimney height is a bit on the short side. The step top gives you two temperature zones on the stove which can be nice for cooking. Lopi builds very stout stoves that will last a generation. The PE Super 27 has a unique coupled air control that regulates both the primary and secondary air. This combined with a more insulated firebox allows the stove to have some exceptional burn times. It also has a unique stainless box baffle, secondary supply that makes flue cleaning a breeze. Whichever you choose you won't go wrong.
Thanks BG and all, This will be a supplemental stove put in up stairs 1000 sq ft fairly open. the PH keeps up great in the basement till we get below 30ish with wind, then I switch to 8 hr loads keeping the upstairs 68-71. we like it 76-78 so this stove will only be used 1/2 the winter if that. Do you think the med. size stoves might be a little to much and I should maby be looking at something more like the T4, I'm still a big fan of the solid cast look ( the high gloss porcelain in the T series is beautiful to me. and the smaller nice looking stoves wind up in the price range of the medium size plain ones.
I've never had a smaller stove and i'm only making up for about 6-8 deg. upstairs 1/2 or less of the winter, and I'm trying to get it right the first time all things considered, Any thoughts on this ?

Thanks, Todd

Thanks BG and all, This will be a supplemental stove put in up stairs 1000 sq ft fairly open. the PH keeps up great in the basement till we get below 30ish with wind, then I switch to 8 hr loads keeping the upstairs 68-71. we like it 76-78 so this stove will only be used 1/2 the winter if that. Do you think the med. size stoves might be a little to much and I should maby be looking at something more like the T4, I'm still a big fan of the solid cast look ( the high gloss porcelain in the T series is beautiful to me. and the smaller nice looking stoves wind up in the price range of the medium size plain ones.
I've never had a smaller stove and i'm only making up for about 6-8 deg. upstairs 1/2 or less of the winter, and I'm trying to get it right the first time all things considered, Any thoughts on this ?

Thanks, Todd

If you are happy with the progress, woodstock does make some nice smaller stoves that may work upstairs for you.

A cat stove, soapstone to boot, might be one that would really cruise long and low for a spot like this. With the stove upstairs, you might find that you don't have to run the progress as hard either.

If you are happy with the progress, woodstock does make some nice smaller stoves that may work upstairs for you.

A cat stove, soapstone to boot, might be one that would really cruise long and low for a spot like this. With the stove upstairs, you might find that you don't have to run the progress as hard either.
That is the idea behind this, use the extra wood upstairs when needed and keep the PH on a 10-12 hr diet.
Gotta be a close wall install with ember protection only stove, that 5-6" close wall fits my install great, helps on costs too. The SS class A chimney eats up the nice looking floor/wall protection hearth I would like to do. Bummer !

Todd2

Sounds like the T4 would do it, especially if this is just a part time supplement.

Status
Not open for further replies.